Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the quick response! I see I wasn't clear at all in my first post. For the sake of discussion, let's say I have $200,000 in my 401k account with 80% ($160,000) in equity mutual funds and 20% ($40,000) in fixed income. I decide I need to borrow $20,000 to buy a new car. Instead of financing the new car at the credit union I take out a loan from my 401k in the amount of $20,000. Assuming the loan comes from sale of equity mutual funds I have in essence just increased my percentage of fixed income in my account from 20% to 30% (original $40,000 in fixed income plus a loan for $20,000 divided portfolio value of $200,000). My account shows a balance of $180,000 plus a $20,000 loan which is earning 8% interest. What difference does it make if I am "loaning" money to a company in the form of a bond or loaning money to myself. Now if on the other hand my loan proceeds come from a combination of equity and fixed income sales to keep my asset allocation ratios the same, then I have in essence increased my percent of fixed income to only 28%. My whole point here is that by borrowing from my 401k I am simply increasing my percent of fixed income in my account. The loan amount is still growing at the interest rate I am paying, tax free. Pretty Foolish eh?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.