Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Thanks for the replies. I'll have my parents to check to make sure that they never went over the allotted amount. I don't think they did, particularly since they never helped my wife and I pay for a house before. But it wouldn't hurt for them to go over their checks. If they did go over $44,000, they'll have to do an amended return. Thanks again.

No. If either of them went over $11,000 from one of them to any single individual, s/he will have to file a Gift Tax return. This is Form 709 and is totally independent from the regular income tax Form 1040.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.