Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 53
Thanks for the replies so far.

I started to get defensive - along the lines of "what do you mean I can't afford it?" or "how do you know what I'll do next month if something breaks?"

But you know what? You're right.

Now that I think about this, buying that dryer on credit - even at 0% - was a poor choice. I could have spent $200 to have the old one repaired, bought a less expensive one that wasn't what I wanted, checked out used appliance shops, etc. We are however both very happy with it and I'm sure we'll get many years of good service from it.

But if I'm going to be serious about getting out of debt, I have to change some mindsets. I have to stop looking at X months @ 0% as the same as cash. I have to stop looking at it like I have $960/month "extra" because that money doesn't have to go to extra payments on debt. I need to look at it like I'm $305,000 short this month.

I'm going to take $81 out of the e-fund/home maintenance account (the amount that is the "home maintenance" portion of that acct). Then I will sell $700 of "stuff" this weekend. That will probably mean parting with a gun or something else I really like. But if I don't feel any pain from this choice, I will make it again next time. Simply extending the debt paydown timeline an extra month is painless. In fact, doing that just makes the next bad choice easier to make.

I got something I really wanted & there's nothing wrong with that. But because of how I got it, I will need to make a choice of what other thing I want that it is going to replace.

Maybe that way I'll make a better choice next time.

SeeFoolRun {is maybe finally understanding what stop digging really means}
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.