Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the reply, Bill.

What I mean by my comment that he only pays income on some of it is that, whatever he grossed, the taxable income number must be generated. I'm assuming there are ways that the number can be brought down. I'm not saying he is doing anything illegal, but I have read that celebrities in Hollywood use tax-beneficial structures to lend their services out to reduce taxes. Don't ask me what that means, but I assume King must somehow be able to reduce his tax burden, thus perhaps shielding us from the true number of what he has earned.

King has stated in a previous interview in the New York Times magazine that, in a good year, he grossed $40 million, and that he might net out a third of that -- what "net out" actually means, he didn't say. I assume that is expenses for his administrative employees (assistants, agents, etc.) and taxes. And if I read the date on the page correctly, this was stated in summer 2000. So, here we are in 2015, and you can see why I am a bit puzzled. I would figure the last two years -- King said he paid about $1.4 million, give or take, to Maine in 2013 and 2014 -- King would have been having a couple good years given some of the projects he has going. A good year these days must be better than a good year back in 2000, I would assume. Then again, like I say, I just don't know.

Plus, wouldn't he earn a lot just from investments? Something just doesn't add up. Again, he definitely is not someone to do anything wrong, not at all. Just there must be some accounting angle we're missing, or there must be some deferred payment, or something. I'd like to think he makes more than $18 million, anyway. Heck, if you look up his net worth, many sources say $400 million; I doubt someone who has that kind of worth makes only $18 million per year after taxes. However, I have sort of doubted that $400 million figure, anyway, it sounds high to me.

Too bad he doesn't run for politics, then he would have to release his return (said with humor). He's a cool guy, and the only reason I am so curious is because it is so rare when someone is forthcoming like that (he says that the tax figure is public knowledge anyway, but I have no idea how that can be). Fun fact: from that interview, too, he said he received $3 million (he qualified that by saying he thinks that's what he got) for "The Green Mile," plus backend.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.