Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the reply.

I'm sorry to be so slow in responding. Life 'in the fast lane' is not meant for those who are 78, like me.

I realized recently that I misread something I encountered while trying to complete the TTax Premier Online. Well into the interview I encountered the text below. I was tired. On first reading I thought they wanted me to sign the tax form before it was finished. It made sense as I considered it from their perspective. I figured that somehow, once signed it would be much harder to back out.

On reflection, what I found (pasted below) now reminds me of the difficulty that Facebook is now facing. The words are carefully chosen, probably vetted by an attorney or two. Am I being paranoid?

*********From the TTax Online interview*****
Sign now, save time later
By sharing your tax info with your Intuit account, you can save time and effort. The IRS requires us to get your OK before disclosing information from your tax return for this purpose, but we’d check with you first even if they didn’t. With your OK, your tax info will be shared with Intuit.
Consent to disclosure of tax return information
Federal law requires this consent form be provided to you. Unless authorized by law, we cannot disclose your tax return information to Intuit Inc. for purposes other than the preparation and filing of your tax return without your consent. If you consent to the disclosure of your tax return information, Federal law may not protect your tax return information from further use or distribution.
You are not required to complete this form to engage our tax return preparation services. If we obtain your signature on this form by conditioning our tax return preparation services on your consent, your consent will not be valid. If you agree to the disclosure of your tax return information, your consent is valid for the amount of time that you specify. If you do not specify the duration of your consent, your consent is valid for one year from the date of signature.
You can choose to have us share your personal information, filing status, refund or taxes due, income information, deductions and credits, and financial institution connection information with our parent company, Intuit Inc. Intuit may use this information to enhance your Intuit account and build your profile, communicate with you, and provide personalized offers and advice for your unique financial profile. You are consenting to allow this disclosure within three years of the date of your signature.
If you believe your tax return information has been disclosed or used improperly in a manner unauthorized by law or without your permission, you may contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) by telephone at 1-800-366-4484, or by email at complaints@tigta.treas.gov.
By signing and clicking “Continue” below, I authorize TurboTax to disclose my personal information, filing status, refund or taxes due, income information, deductions and credits, and financial institution connection information from this 2017 tax return and any amendments to Intuit Inc.
Now we just need you to sign and date this form below. Please enter your name as it will appear on your tax return.
Your Name
First name
Last name
Today's date:
03/11/2018
Spouse's name, if filing together
First name
Last name
Today's date:
03/11/2018

They swing back and forth about protecting you, not being able to require releasing information as a precondition to using the program, but right in the middle is this sentence.

If you consent to the disclosure of your tax return information, Federal law may not protect your tax return information from further use or distribution.

How frequently do customers comply and sign?

Thanks,
baumgrenze
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.