Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the reply Wradical. Some follow-up questions and thoughts:

Yes, but I hope you're aware that's only half the story. Your basis is also adjusted by your share of the partnership's income/gains/losses, etc. (increased for income, decreased for losses.)

I am aware...just using expositional expedience! ;)

But beyond that, a gain on the sale of the shares themselves should not be UBTI.

That's what I understand too: the difference between my sale price and my "original" basis is considered capital gains. And the IRA is exempt from capital gains taxes.

But, upon the sale of units, the difference between my "original" basis and the "adjusted" basis (which, of course, subtracts distributions but adds back in the "taxable income" part of the distributions) is taxable income to the IRA. And this taxable income is classified as UBTI.

As I've held my units for some time this difference between my "original" and "adjusted" basis is steadily creeping close to $1K. I want to retain my interest in this MLP. But, I also want to manage the taxes effectively. So, I figured that if I sold my units into the market, then quickly re-bought units out of the market, that I could reset the recapture to $0, while still staying under the $1K UBTI limit.

If that strategy is permissible it would even work for taxable accounts. And it's quite tax efficient because the marginal rates on UBTI are progressive. So, it would surprise me if the IRS lets you do it! ;)

I think an easier approach is to keep LP shares in your personal/taxable account, and keep the IRA for stocks, bonds, and even REITS should be OK.

Perhaps. And I see this advice in many places. But, I think that's just because holding MLP units requires some non-standard book-keeping and takes a little time to wrap one's head around the strategy space. That said, holding the units in a taxable account is not a panacea...you still have to keep track of your adjusted basis and keep an eye on UBTI (and pay taxes if it gets over $1K), especially if you've held your units for a while and your adjusted basis gets down to $0.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.