No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the response, PSU.

You have stated the reason why I only owned term life insurance until my 60's. Up until then I received about a 7% return in my deferred tax accounts. At 60 years old, I had to drop the corporate term life insurance as it went up 300% in price. I have a $500K term life insurance on me that expires in two years but is too expensive to renew.

Here are a few rationalizations of my purchases.

I have no fixed income investments. I am 100% equities. Buying bonds in this rising interest rate market looks difficult. You are using equity returns to reject the returns of a dividend paying whole life insurance policy from a Mutual Insurance company (owned by policyholders). I have maxed out my deferred tax options i.e. 401K. So the 6.4% return would have to be after-tax versus tax deferred in whole life.

I compared the 2.8% tax free IRR on Policy B to my fixed income investment options. Since cash surrender value is a guarantied payment from a AA insurance company, it is a fixed income investment that exceeded CD's, bonds etc. at the time. Policy B is a winner on a Behavioral Finance analysis as its purpose was to have $360K available for my spouse when I am 90 years old and need LTC. The guaranty from a AA insurance company is $309K at 89 years old with dividend income to make it larger. My spouse does not have the financial expertise to manage an equity or bond portfolio so CSV will be available to pay LTC for both of us.

When my wife can get an 8% return on immediate annuities, I will buy an immediate annuity for her (and me)for the same Behavioral Finance reasons.
RedondoBeachMike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.