Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
[[Thanks for the response, Roy! (I didn't even see it at first, because there have been so many posts
lately. Whew! You need to hook up with Tony and head to Aruba!)]]

Soon...very soon...two week dive trip to the Turks in early May...if I survive...

[[ I think the confusion arose because of WHEN I sent in the paperwork (towards the end of
December, I should have waited until January because I knew the whole process wouldn't be
finished by the end of 1998). Also, the 401(a) refused to do a direct rollover to my wife's mutual
fund, instead they insisted on sending us the check (made out to the mutual fund, NOT my wife).]]

Sounds reasonable.

[[ I suppose this means that a distribution did indeed take place in 1998 in the eyes of the IRS, but it
should be considered a nontaxable event for 1998 (since we had 60 days to put the funds into an
IRA before taxes and penalties would kick in).]]

Absolutely correct...

[[ So I think I should be okay in including the amount on Line 15a, but none of it on Line 15b or on
Form 8606. Hopefully this is the safest route to take.]]

Again, absolutly correct...

[[ Thanks again! (If my analysis sounds half-baked, please let me know!) ]]

I think that you are right on the mark. Nice analysis.

TMF Taxes
Roy
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.