Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for the responses.

Yes, you guys see the obvious and let me explain.

1)My preferred option would be to do a cash out-refinance on the 1st rental property, which is almost paid off (only 3 years left to pay), and then use that $$ as a down payment on a 2nd rental property.

However, the rental property (our old house) is in my wife's name, her mom contributes 12K a year to pay it off faster, and her mom made us promise not to re-finance or anything. It doesn't make financial sense but unfortunately I can't use the property to get cash out.

The only good news is it is providing about 10k/year in cash flow to cover any expenses and to increase our income. Once its paid off, it will provide about 30k/year in cash flow minus any expenses.

2)I'd like to at least break-even to start if I buy a 2nd rental property but I need to come up with the down payment. I don't want to sell any stock to raise cash (especially since they tanked recently) and so a HELOC seems like it might be the best way, even though the terms wouldn't be the best.

3) I'm financially stable, age 46, with a NET worth over 1 million dollars, have life insurance, so I'm not very worried about putting my primary house at risk with a HELOC.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.