Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the slipper tip. Oh gawd I'm becoming an "I'm cold" person. It's never ever been like this.

Yes, house gets cold. I'm so mad. 2 years after buying it, I'm talking to a local contractor who has lived in this area forever and he told me, mine was one of the houses, built by a builder----who was going broke so it was well known he was cutting corners -- stuff like windows and insulation.

Later in life when my family needs change - I so can't wait to downsize to something simple.

I remember the 2bed/2bath apartment me and Wifey had when we first got married. No big problems and if there was something wrong I'd dial the number, a chap named Francisco would say "ok sir I gonna be there soon" and presto somehow it would be fixed.

On an another retire-early forum - sometimes people younger than me are on their way and they ask for suggestions. I disclose that I'm not some expert stock investor but I impart the following: "Just don't buy a big house. Don't do it. Save your money. Blow it on something else. Travel. hookers. Lobsters. Every time something breaks, it's gonna be a 4-5 figure repair and it never stops".

There's something to be said about simplicity, and simple creature comforts.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.