Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 10
Thanks for the update, Yoda.

I wonder what Ralph would pick today for a 50-year portfolio. PLD instead of SPG? He liked the new edition of PLD after the merger with AMB. Or maybe he would still pick SPG despite all the death-of-retail talk. Myself, I would be tempted to pick a triple-net REIT, (O, NNN or STOR). He didn't often recommend triple-nets, but he did put us onto STOR when that first came along.

I wondered about there being no office REIT in the 50-year portfolio. Then looking back over old emails from him I found a comment in October 2015 that there were almost none he liked. So that explains that. That email had a nice roundup of his favorite REITs for the core of one's REIT portfolio, so I'll quote it here:

"I regard core REIT holdings meeting your criteria as: AVB, EQR, ELS, VTR, HCN, EGP, PLD, ARE, MAC, SPG, AKR, FRT, KIM, REG, ROIC, CUBE, EXR and PSA. I own all of them except EQR, and they all have excellent management and balance sheets. BXP may fit in there, somewhere, but I have been disappointed with them for the last couple of years; they are not the BXP of old, due to management changes.

I can think of no other office REIT I would include, except perhaps for HIW (ARE is really lab space, not so much “office”).

PSA has had the wind at its back, as self-storage is an excellent property type and was undervalued for a long time. I love this sector, although it’s no longer dirt cheap.

I still like DOC for a small position while we wait to see how management performs. A newer one for me, which is a fairly new REIT, is STOR. I think the management team, which has ample experience and expertise, is top notch. I own a lot of STOR despite it being a fairly new REIT.

Hope this helps.

Ralph"

---------------

Reading the original REITnut/Yoda post sent me scurrying to read up on that tax credit

The retirement savings tax credit is up to a maximum of $2,000 credit to match a $2,000 contribution on a joint return. That would only be for a married couple making less than $38k AGI (in 2018), with at least a $2,000 tax liability and $2,000 they could afford to sock away in an IRA. Seems like that would be a pretty small set of people. Smaller percentage matches are available up to a joint $64k AGI. Any type of IRA, 401k, 403b qualifies. Credit is not refundable. https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employ...
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.