No. of Recommendations: 5
Thanks for the virtual hug, ThyPeace. It was an amazing three nights of Shiva after a whirlwind funeral on Monday. Everything seemed to align for us. We didn't want to do the funeral on Mother's Day and the synagogue was due to start a summer-long renovation on Monday, but we were able to get them to hold off for half a day and not only hold the memorial service but to live stream it to out-of-town family who could not make the last minute trip.

My dad was so humble it is always hard to get my head around how much respect he held around Atlanta, through his Princeton connections, in the medical community and such. We encountered numerous "Small World" moments, from the funeral home owner on Hilton Head who once had a side job working in the golf pro shop on at Melrose on Daufuskie Island where my dad played many, many (many) rounds of golf. To the limo driver who picked us up before funeral, telling my mother that he recognized the name on the job order as the doctor who had operated on his wife back in 1973. We heard that and were just stunned.

We've had maybe a small advantage in that we've had over a year to prepare, to move all his accounts into my mother's name, and that she's no slouch in terms of taking charge and being self-sufficient. She has a strong support group on the island, even though there are only about 400 people living in about 8 square miles. You can't beat the sunsets over the water either. My niece will also be spending the summer working on the island and staying with her grandmother, so she won't be alone.

And I have my friends and Motley Fool family (TMF sent me a lovely bouquet of flowers) to keep me company, and the Braves to keep me entertained.

Fuskie
Who is now playing catch-up on email and board posts and earnings reports after 2 weeks of putting the world on hold...

-----
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), DHX Media (DHXM), Royce Micro Capital Trust (RMT)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post (tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure)
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx#Condu...
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.