No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm still struggling a bit with convincing myself that saving is good ('cuz I would rather spend Spend SPEND!).

I do plan on maxing out the contribution to my Roth for both 2003 and 2004. 2003 will be the first year I'll have contributed to a Roth. Since I just paid off my debts rather recently, and I bought the shoebox in December, I had to start from scratch on the Roth for 2003 come January, 2004.

As far as how I break out savings, I have a speadsheet where I track all my expenses. I have been doing this since July. I never realized how much I spent on going out and...gifts. Yes, I was going overboard in the gifting department. I have a line item for savings, and I plunk the same percentage into a separate account from my checking account. This "Savings" is for long-term savings, the "I can't freakin' stand workin for DA MAN anymore and must get outta this rat race" savings. I'm putting it into a brokerage account right now, but I haven't decide if I will play the stck market with it, let it marinate in the brokerage, withdraw it all and roll around in it and count it over and over and over like Scrooge...

I also have the eFund in that separate account. though broken out for me on my spreadsheet. On top of that, I have a "Freedom Fund," though I think my definition is different than most's. Essentially, I funnel off money into my Freedom Fund to buy something gargantuan when I figure out what that big thing is. I also put a prescribed amount in a fund for "Charity" and "Dog."

Like I said, it's hard convincing myself that the long-term benefits of savings outweigh the short-term satisfaction of giving it to people in bright shiny boutiques, but I'm working towards it...
S L O W L Y.

Thanks-Wednesday
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.