Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Fuma but there is already competition or not?

Look for comparing:
https://bestportableultrasound.com/

This is not the only portable device in market. Here are some of the portable devices that can be hooked up to a smartphone.

GE Healthcare Vscan--most commonly used by hospitals. Cost is steep though at $8,000

PulseNmore At-Home Tele-Ultrasound for pregnant women

Babywatcher for pregnant women

In addition, GE does not have a recurring subscription fee. Also, for the hospitals, cost is not a huge and decisive factor?

Whats not good:
1.Unless they reveal their revenue growth for the past 2 years, the merger appears to be an exercise to raise cash because VCs have cut short their funds.

2.Founder/owner has a history of founding 5-6 companies, selling them for a profit, and exiting quick. As an investor, that is the last thing I want. I want a founder who can run the company forever (also the reason I am invested in Shop, TSLA, SE, SQ, etc).
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Fuma but there is already competition or not?

Look for comparing:
https://bestportableultrasound.com/

This is not the only portable device in market. Here are some of the portable devices that can be hooked up to a smartphone.

GE Healthcare Vscan--most commonly used by hospitals. Cost is steep though at $8,000

PulseNmore At-Home Tele-Ultrasound for pregnant women

Babywatcher for pregnant women

In addition, GE does not have a recurring subscription fee. Also, for the hospitals, cost is not a huge and decisive factor?

Whats not good:
1.Unless they reveal their revenue growth for the past 2 years, the merger appears to be an exercise to raise cash because VCs have cut short their funds.

2.Founder/owner has a history of founding 5-6 companies, selling them for a profit, and exiting quick. As an investor, that is the last thing I want. I want a founder who can run the company forever (also the reason I am invested in Shop, TSLA, SE, SQ, etc).
No. of Recommendations: 4
Im familiar with much of the handheld and POCUS (Point of care Ultrasound) market- a side hustle of mine is that I teach POCUS! :P

I touch on these in the NPI threads, but basically IQ has better image quality than all of them except maybe for cardiac function from the Lumify.

Ease of use isn't a question: hooks up to your phone, easy platform to use, easy EMR integration, easy to share clips. Plus it's only one probe (whereas traditionally you'd need one probe for small parts like blood vessels, another for belly, another for cardiac).

The culture at butterfly is really impressive. I've been to hq and worked with the company for conference support in the past. They're easy to work with, responsive, and customercentric. I can't stress how rare it is to be good at everything in the pocus segment.

I wonder if part of why they went public is to generate a bit more public interest in the market given that they want to do "at home IQ" eventually for disease monitoring. I'm skeptical, but they are often the smartest group in the room with big aspirations and often achieve them. This group is relentlessly focused on their product, and being software that connects to your phone, it can (and does) continually improve. No other probe does that. Certainly not as frequently or as cheaply.

I've met probably a dozen or more butterfly employees and I've spent time at HQ- these folks buy into the mission. They get excited to help their customers. They get really excited when their customers turn them into use cases in remote areas.

Not sure if you listen to the Industry focus podcast, but they sat down with Tim Beyers on his process of evaluating stocks. One of his things he liked was when a founder stumbles onto a problem in their own life then tries to fix it and does so better. Rothberg is that example.

I can't tell you how they'll perform as a public company, but I bet they won't care so much about the quarter to quarter perform as much as the company continuing to move forward on democratizing Ultrasound. This may make for a rocky road, but folks, this is a true paradigm shift.

This is when the iPod came around and made things super easy when there was already a fragmented mp3 market. Butterfly has brand recognition no one else has. A fanboy following. The "it" factor. It's way affordable at half the cost of the other probes (save for Vave which isn't even available yet!), and only a single probe! Quality is good enough for the POCUS market and always getting better with upgrades.

I'm concerned about customer retention and buying the cloud every year. But in the end, I think they'll continue to execute.

I own the SPAC, and have done advertising for the IQ for free in the past. I work with IQ to get probes for conference workshops I host or help with.