Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks guys, your comments are perceptive, informative, and usefuly though-provoking. I think you're right inasmuch as there are some complementary games out there, which you chaps are far ahead of me in understanding.

I am being very clear (in my own mind at least) in focussing only on the WIDget OS GG. It is certainly complicated as the major players are also in a number of other games - I think this makes them Godzillas ? - and some appear to have achieved kingship at least (I am thinking of Palm and Nokia here; similarly you chaps are looking at AETH, PUMA etc albeit at an earlier stage in their game cycle).

I regard the WID-OS game as being the most fundamental one that exists other than the existing big games (front/back office intgn., fibre switch, wireless standard) and the outcome may influence the lesser but related games of AETH etc.

I'm not sure if you're right about Palm having won the PDA/PIM game. I think it has achieved Kingship but only for a limited period. It remains to be seen whether it can leverage this position to the bigger WID-OS game. the point is that all it has is a fairly limited OS, a good physical form, and a nice value chain (I wish I had as much). However if if it loses the superceding WID-OS game then it loses control over the form and the value chain and simply becomes a prince amongst box-makers (going up against Nokia's volumes BTW). I think the Symbian owners are cognisant of this and that is why they've brought out the tablet & keyboard form of EPOC as 6.0 before going for the smartphones at 6.2. This way they get an early attack in on Palm as volumes are growing. To get a feel for how frontal this attack is go to http://www.infosync.no/en/news/visnyhet.asp?Link=2 for a preview.

I am not sure what the effect is of a pure IP (let's face it that's what an OS is) gameplayer being a consortia. I'm not sure whether to view that as an advantage, disadvantage, or irrelevant. My opinion is that it is a slight plus in the particular case of Symbian given the twin-board structure they have, but I wonder if the theoretical aspects of that have been discussed ??? It doesn't seem to have been covered in the discussions I've seen of the IP-only QCOM. Any comments ??

I should also be clear that I have significant chunks of Psion & Nokia in my portfolio. Because of where I am and the limited resources I have I incur large trading costs which are a barrier for my diversification to a 'correct' basket even if I were to be ignoring valuation issues.

David

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.