Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks.

I'm unlikely to go that route but all you ever hear from 90%+ of the people is that rates have to rise but they don't.

I found this from an article in 2013
Should I buy an annuity when interest rates are low?

There's no good answer to this question, and it's cavalier to say that interest rates have to go up in the near future. Japan can tell you that rates can remain stagnant for decades, so it's important to prepare the possibility of a flat rate environment for the foreseeable future.

Obviously rates haven't gone up in the last 7 years. I saw a payout rate for a 62 yr old in 2013 was 6.3%. While a 60/40 portfolio did better (9.1%), I doubt anyone that got a 6.3% payout rate starting in 2013, is unhappy with it in 2020. No stock market concerns, no low/near zero fixed income concerns, etc.

In my case I'm probably more concerned about the first 10 years of retirement and not the back end. Partly because if I delay social security even to 67, that would be a chunk of money. It is mostly bridging the first 7-9 years from 60 to 67 or earlier if I quit sooner.

As mentioned elsewhere I'm not optimistic for the financial markets over the next 5-10 years, too many economic issues here and in the world, and that was before the virus situation which the market is temporarily ignoring.

I see too many "how can I get better yields?" posts (around the internet) and the "there is no alternative so put it in the market". Usually both of those questions/comments lead to trouble down the road.

Anyhow, thanks.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.