No. of Recommendations: 39
I don't see you on RECF anymore so I'm posting this here. I wanted to personally give you my thanks for the years you have devoted to the RE community on the numerous message boards and answering many of my FIRE questions and concerns.

I still frequent your website at least monthly to check for new articles.

I still remember a response you gave after I posted a question (way back in the early days of the Fool's REHP board) about the 4% rule and how it applied to those who expected to live an abnormally long age because of their diet and lifestyle.

I posted specific reasons why I believed I would live longer than most and got blasted by many posters as to basically being a fool for believing as such.

Anyway, you did not jump on that wagon and instead offered several reasoned responses, including modifying your retirement spreadsheet to include longer safe withdrawal periods.

I am currently on year 6 since I 1st formulated my FIRE strategy. I have had a few bumps in the road along the way: a layoff, over-weighted tech investments during the 2000-2002 meltdown, underestimating the expenses of my 1st 2 teenagers, DW delaying her entry into the work force (SAHM for 20 years), 3 knee surgery's for my collegiate basketball playing daughter, an expensive surgery for my wife, as well as the same day to day struggles that everyone has with their budgets do to rising inflation, taxes insurance etc..

6 years ago, I originally was hoping to FIRE right about when I turned 50. That figure has been revised several times but is now more realistically set at 53, which is 7 1/2 years away.

You have my gratitude and appreciating for sharing your wealth of wisdom with others!

decath
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
6 years ago, I originally was hoping to FIRE right about when I turned 50. That figure has been revised several times but is now more realistically set at 53, which is 7 1/2 years away.

Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! My goal is to FIRE at 50. We'll see if I make it or not.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I posted specific reasons why I believed I would live longer than most and got blasted by many posters as to basically being a fool for believing as such. - decath
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uh? That would be me. Guilty as charged. You have to realize this was coming from a person who failed a graduate statistics course because he doesn't believe in free will.

I apologize. I also apologize for giving you a hard time about your religious beliefs. Mine are way kookier than yours.

I was out of line.

Art
syksix:
Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! My goal is to FIRE at 50. We'll see if I make it or not.

The light is dim but I see something! <g> How far do you have to go syker? What, if any, observations in your work psyche have you noticed as you have gotten closer to your FIRE goal?

I have noticed a change of attitude about my career. Several observations, particularly this year as I hit a FIRE asset milestone earlier back in March. That is, I am 1/3 way towards my accumulation goal and according to intercst's spreadsheet, that is when the principle balance really starts taking off at a rapid pace, dwarfing my contributions from income.

Observation #1: I work in IT and have to spend a good deal of personal time keeping up with the latest technologies. However, I'm kind of tired of taking classes, trying to keep up with the 20 something geeks and taking online course on my laptop while DW is reading a novel next to me in bed. Getting laid off last year after 7 years of busting my tail for my boss and company was "eye opening" for me.

I'm now pondering backing off of the .net technologies I've been programming with recently and just riding out the rest of my career on the legacy software tools I know so well. The pay is better and the skills are harder to find by employers. This will give me more free time and less stress with the 7-8 years I have left. It will be harder to find work if I get laid off, but the jobs are out there and they generally pay well.

Observation # 2: Since my FIRE assets have been growing much faster than my contributions the past couple of years, sometimes I get the temptation to just coast. IOW's, perhaps looking for a lesser paying job that is more enjoyable and less time consuming. The drawback is that it will extend the FIRE date out some. It will be interesting to see how this feeling developes as I get closer to the FIRE date.

decath
.I posted specific reasons why I believed I would live longer than most and got blasted by many posters as to basically being a fool for believing as such. - decath
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Art:
Uh? That would be me. Guilty as charged. You have to realize this was coming from a person who failed a graduate statistics course because he doesn't believe in free will.

Actually no. If I recall, you did make some comments and did disagree with me, but you were not rude.

I apologize. I also apologize for giving you a hard time about your religious beliefs. Mine are way kookier than yours.

I was out of line.

Art

Well, you don't have to apologize again. You already have done so and I accepted it in an email.

Plus, as you know, the history between us goes back as long as I've been on RECF and I've had to do my share of apologizing as well.

It is all water under the bridge!

decath
I don't see you on RECF anymore so I'm posting this here. I wanted to personally give you my thanks for the years you have devoted to the RE community on the numerous message boards and answering many of my FIRE questions and concerns.

Hi, decath!
Nice to see you here. I've missed your posts.

I also really like your health posts--even if I don't follow your recommendations, they are interesting.

Retirement is nice. We are going to go visit my MIL during the week. Our children all have jobs now and must work during the weekends!

Vickifool
Speaking of kooky religions - here's my religion!

Ziggy Marley - Love Is My Religion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTtClxeWbGc&mode=related&search=

Oh yeah! I loves me some reggae music!

Artie
No. of Recommendations: 1
The light is dim but I see something! <g> How far do you have to go syker? What, if any, observations in your work psyche have you noticed as you have gotten closer to your FIRE goal?

Well, I'm 42 now, so I've got eight years to go. Mathematically the numbers work out, in fact I'm ahead of schedule but who knows what the future will hold?

I started my own business a three or four years ago, so my situation is a little different than most people's, as far as working for the man is concerned because I am the man. I think that accelerated my FIRE a little but, but I did spend about a year eating cat food and drew my savings some. The next year I broke even (but didn't save anything) and since then things have been going really well.

One thing would be to grow the business, and then sell it. But I'm not sure I want to do the extra work in the meantime. Maybe that is part of the change in my work psyche.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Hi, decath!
Nice to see you here. I've missed your posts.

I also really like your health posts--even if I don't follow your recommendations, they are interesting.

Retirement is nice. We are going to go visit my MIL during the week. Our children all have jobs now and must work during the weekends!

Vickifool

I've missed your posts as well Vickifool.

I actually keep up pretty well with both boards but it is not the same as it used to be.

I wish the boards would combine back again and be both less political and remain civil when discussing politics.

But we all pretty much know that won't happen.

So I'm going to read both boards, be civil and try not to discuss politics unless it is FIRE related.

And more importantly, always try to write my posts with the reflection that there are warm blooded "good" people that disagree with me that will be reading and responding.

decath
No. of Recommendations: 3
And more importantly, always try to write my posts with the reflection that there are warm blooded "good" people that disagree with me that will be reading and responding

decath: good to see you back - I know you said you were abandoning the boards, but I'm glad you changed your mind. I like reading your posts.

I wish more people would take the approach you note above. Many people (on both boards) seem to feel that being rude or dealing in put-downs is OK if it's someone on the other political side - whether another poster or a public figure. I mostly ignore those posts, but they really turn me off.

I like reading views with which I disagree, if they are crafted thoughtfully. It makes me think.
>> Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! My goal is to FIRE at 50. We'll see if I make it or not. <<

I'm thinking the last couple of weeks have set me back a couple of years, but we'll see. A lot of it also depends on the health care situation in the next decade. That will likely have more of an impact on when I can FIRE than all the eggs the stock market is laying now.

50 is too optimistic for me. I'm planning on 53 or 54 - when the house will be fully paid off. That's 10-11 years from now. Could be sooner, especially as I really don't think I'll stop working entirely - just "work lite" as a PT barista or something. Or if I could consult as a PM, but without the travel, I'd work indefinitely. But I don't want to be doing this travel thing more than another 10 years.
"50 is too optimistic for me."

I plan to retire at 50. Oh wait. I am 51 and not even close.

Oh well....
>> Congrats on seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! My goal is to FIRE at 50. We'll see if I make it or not. <<

I'm thinking the last couple of weeks have set me back a couple of years, but we'll see.

I know the feeling. I'm trying to ignore the past 2 weeks myself. I just continue to plan on an expected 11% return average in my FIRE spreadsheet and compare the results monthly. I do my big analysis each year on my birthday (real exiting, I know) to check my progress.

A lot of it also depends on the health care situation in the next decade. That will likely have more of an impact on when I can FIRE than all the eggs the stock market is laying now.

For sure!

Regardless of what continues to happen in health care and the political bickering that goes on, the best thing each and every one of us can do individually is to focus on the things we can control.

The 2 things that come to mind for me are:

- do everything you can to improve your health by eating properly, proper rest, clean water, structure your life to be low stress etc..

- build up your own HSA (whether you qualify for tax savings or not) to be used when necessary. I personally liked intercst's plan to invest that HSA amount into healthcare stocks. That way, they tend to keep up with healthcare inflation.

decath
Gingko100:
50 is too optimistic for me. I'm planning on 53 or 54 - when the house will be fully paid off. That's 10-11 years from now. Could be sooner, especially as I really don't think I'll stop working entirely - just "work lite" as a PT barista or something. Or if I could consult as a PM, but without the travel, I'd work indefinitely. But I don't want to be doing this travel thing more than another 10 years.

I here that a lot. I've never had a job where I travel. Pretty much a cubicle warrior my entire career. To me, the traveling sounds glamorous. But I guess it does get old after awhile.

53 is my magic time frame as well. Everything will come together at that point: paid off home, FIRE asset target should be met and the last kid out of the house.

decath
I plan to retire at 50. Oh wait. I am 51 and not even close.

Oh well....

I retired on the 16th anniversary of my 50th birthday. Does that count?

cliff
cliff: "I retired on the 16th anniversary of my 50th birthday"

At this point I am tempted to respond with, "Braggart!"