Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Jenn.

Trusts are financial tools that I know nothing about. Looks like I have some research to do. Your post implies that I could use a Trust to generate a passive income stream, without "paying" for the lump-sum inheritance, also. That is an idea worth pursuing further.

I would greatly appreciate any help directing me to sites that would help explain the different types of Trusts I might consider.

As for the comment:
<< On the other hand, why not pay for the kid's college and stop worrying? >>

Two factors come into play:
1. Starting in 2001, I'll be "supporting" (12) college tuition payments over the next (13) years for my three children. This projection is for undergraduate tuition only, and assumes no "add-on" years due to switching majors, coop programs, etc. The inheritance amount won't last long enough to cover all the projected payments.

2. I have a personal philosophy that the student should have some financial responsibility for their college education. Even if I could afford to foot the entire bill, I wouldn't. I learned from personal experience that, from age 18-24, you tend to make better decisions when it's your money on the line.

Actually, I was hoping to use the inheritance money to help fund any post-graduate work that my children may pursue. But, needless to say, the college financial aid process is designed to get my money now, not later.
Print the post  

Announcements

Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.