Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Sure, Kate. This is a quick response and off the top of my head as classes are starting and there are no unused brain cells at the moment.

Near-Death or Out of the Body experiences were very popular with the public for a period of time due to the publication of Melvin Morse's book on the subject (he has a website at http://www.melvinmorse.com/light.htm) but have since not been as evident. They were studied in detail by some and with a fair amount of scientific rigor by others...and with mostly an anecdotal accounting by most. After a while, the story was told and attention drifted away...

Oh yes, there is an institute for these studies as well --the International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) at http://www.iands.org/

Anyway, the basic phenomenon was that as an individual who "died" and was later revived (heart attack, etc.) experienced one of more of several events: detaching from and viewing their body, entering a tunnel or hearing a roaring sound, approaching a place of brilliant light, seeing departed loved ones, being approached by a being of light or of religious significance, experiencing a life review, being told they had to return, and winding up back in the body.

Anyway, I know people have these experiences because I have personally met a number of credible individuals who have recounted them to me...at least one before Morse's book.

Having said that, this experience is only one part of what interests me...I am interested in these experiences and 'automatic writing' publications, and the claims by various individuals who describe the 'afterlife' in some detail. Writers and books cheerfully quoted but not right now...out of time!

There seems to be a broad general agreement of what lies beyond this life or however you want to put it and I wish to explore this area with others who do not have the vested interest of being a paid guru or author. Thanks Kate. I hope we can get a conversation going. Regards.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.