Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Lorenzo, for your help. I haven't run the numbers for my situation yet but I think I've got the technique in mind. What I was missing was the fact that the fractional share could be applied to the oldest purchase using the FIFO technique. For some reason that did not seem appropriate. I also should have realized that the receipt of a 1099-B from my broker will indicate the year in which it should be addressed.
You noted in your response that I would have to deal with the fractional share calculations for all of the stock B shares that I now own. My approach will be to convert a list of each purchase of stock A along with its cost basis and date of purchase to the number of shares of B that I now have. Then as I sell stock B I would apply the sale price to the cost basis of the oldest purchase. Does that seem like the correct approach?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.