No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks, Pam.

I found out some more stuff by reading the relevant IRS publications (#590 and 560) and looking at the forms typically filed by the employer setting up the SIMPLE (form 5304-SIMPLE or 5305-SIMPLE).

Apparently if the employer uses 5304, employees have their choice of financial institution. If the employer uses 5305, there will be a designated financial instition that will receive contributions.

BUT: there is a provision in form 5305 which states that designated financial institution must agree to transfer funds to another IRA (I assume another SIMPLE, if it is within the initial 2-year period?) without cost or penalty, if the employee so desires. I am going to talk to the evil Edward Jones rep this afternoon and try to discern whether he can charge any fees at all if we decide to transfer all funds to a T. Rowe Price or other account immediately upon receipt.

Any other info/experience much appreciated!

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.