Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Peter and AJ for the detailed responses. You guys are really great. I sincerely appreciate. Peter, to answer your question, I am really not sure myself I even graduated from college when I was reading these publications. I plan to be a lifetime learner though, as I am one here.

I understand your points now. I will chalk it up as a life lesson. I certainly did not think about tax in December 2014. Though I went back and read those paragraphs again. The following paragraph still puzzles me quite a bit.

“The tuition and fees deduction is based on qualified education expenses you pay for yourself, your spouse, or a dependent for whom you claim an exemption on your tax return. Generally, the deduction is allowed for qualified education expenses paid in 2015 in connection with enrollment at an institution of higher education during 2015 or for an academic period beginning in 2015 or in the first 3 months of 2016.”

Now I have a question, if someone paid tuition in December 2014 for an academic period that started on April 2, 2015, does it mearn that he neither can claim it in 2014 nor in in 2015?

Thank you all again for your help!

Regards,

Tom
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.