Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Phil,

After looking/thinking today, I think my MIL's difficulty in "giving" it to my wife is that she no longer has legal control as you implied. I'll have my wife contact them and get a statement or 1099 for 2010 -and any other basis info. Hopefully we can liquidate this and move on... I have a feeling that any capital "gain" will be negative so I may just liquidate and not bother with claiming it -I have enough carry over losses to last another 5 years anyway!

It's really frustrating as it seems my in-laws have done a lot with good intentions but the $ is low and the hassle can be high.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.