Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks Phil, that's what I found in a couple of RevRuls this morning. Both are old but I don't see anything more recent that supercedes them
RevRul 66-80 deals with a situation where you pay to modify a vehicle, & indicates that the cost of the modifications (lifts, hand pedals, etc) are deductible as a medical expense.
RevRul 70-606 deals with the situation where you buy an already modified vehicle. Ruling there was that the increased price due to the modifications is a medical expense (i.e. a standard vehicle would cost $15,000; you pay $18,000 for the modified vehicle; the difference, $3000, is a medical expense).
Ironically, I looked in my costly research service last night for an hour & couldn't find the answer. This morning I went to my cheap service & found it in about 2 minutes. Maybe I need to toss the expensive service.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.