Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks so much, Ira!

I think the additional restrictions related to religious and private schools is based on the fact that primary education is mandatory and your child is entitled to "free" education in a public school. Therefore any additional expense is purely personal in nature.

Interesting. I was thinking of camp as equivalent to childcare, so I figured it fell under the "nonprofit daycare centers" part of the example. (And for the record, I won't treat as a charitable donation anything that gets reimbursed through my DCRA or that I use for the dependent care credit.)

you could ask the camp for a letter from their attorney/tax advisor citing the basis for their position. You might not get the letter, but you might.

I actually started out asking the camp for a tax receipt, which was not automatically generated when I signed up online. My interactions with them suggest that they are not really on the ball here. The receipt didn't mention the 60% - it just "acknowledges your donation of XX in the form of a registration fee for XX camp." The letter was attached to an email noting that only 60% was tax deductible.

When I asked for some substantiation of the 60%, I got this: "The 60/40 ratio was discussed with our tax accountants who informed us that the when a customer spends over $75 AND they receive something for part of the donation (in our case, they receive classes) they can receive a tax deduction for the portion that covers the cost of the cost of the class. So 60% is class/camp cost and the 40% accounts for profits and general management and expenses that are not class specific."

I suspect something got lost in translation - hopefully the tax folks know what they're doing, and it's just the organization's staff that doesn't understand what's going on. But yikes. This was the point where I came here to ask if the partial deductibility was even plausible, before engaging with them further.

- Parkway
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.