No. of Recommendations: 3
Thanks Swift and Hi Matt.

I looked at Guidewire's S-1 when they first IPO'd and I was following Ebix more closely. I got the impression at the time that they weren't head-to-head competitors, although both are players in insurance industry automation. My impression is that Ebix' software was designed at smoothing the flow of data between insurers and their agents across a wide swath of insurance categories, while Guidewire was purely working on P&C insurance and seeking to replace systems that are internal to the insurer. Ebix has certainly broadened the set of markets upon which it is focused, especially with its big pushes into India in recent years. I haven't kept myself abreast of Guidewire but, based on what Swift has written, I think they've stuck to their knitting. Back then, I wasn't interested in GWRE because I anticipated that they'd meet a lot of resistance and their most formidable competitor would be in-house development teams, especially at the larger P&C insurers. I'm not saying that I thought the in-house development teams would be better than Guidewire, just better entrenched and more politically expedient for decision-makers. In hindsight, holding EBIX and shunning GWRE wasn't the best investment choice, especially in the last several months. Those are my impressions, although I haven't looked at either company with intensity of focus in a few years. I hope it helps and, Swift, if I've presented Guidewire poorly, please correct my understanding.

Fool on!
Thanks and best wishes,
TMFDatabaseBob (long: EBIX)
See my holdings here: http://my.fool.com/profile/TMFDatabasebob/info.aspx
Peace on Earth

Please note: I am not a member of any newsletter team. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the TMF advisers. I am not an investment professional, merely an investor.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.