No. of Recommendations: 44
Thanks Swift, for that excellent summary of Guidewire. My thoughts are that this will be a 20% to 25% grower for a long time, with a deep moat and very little risk of losing any of its current clients to competition. However, it is locked in a restricted silo (or vertical if you wish), it has a very, VERY, long sales cycle, and it will never be a hyper-growth, or even really fast growth company. It would be good for a secondary position in ones portfolio, if they wanted a conservative anchor. Compare it to Alteryx, Twilio, Okta, Zscaler, who potentially sell to every enterprise on the planet. They have admittedly more risk, but what a wildly greater opportunity!

Look at this from the 2018 fiscal year end report:

Total revenue was $661 million, up 29% yoy. Of this:

License revenue was $316 million, up 16%
Services revenue was $268 million, up 54%
Maintenance revenue was $77 million, up 13%

Just look at that carefully!
License revenue (the good stuff with high margins) was only up 16%.
Services revenue with only about a 10% gross margin was up 54% - probably because of the need to help clients adapt to the new accounting standard, which skewed so many things. Without that, total revenue would have been up a lot less than 29%.
Maintenance revenue was up 13%

Their outlook for this fiscal year was
Total revenue up only 13% !!!!!

And License Revenue up just 17% !!!
And Service Revenue up just 10% !!! After that artificial 54% last year.
And Maintenance Revenue up just 4% !!!

That 29% total revenue growth last year was a mirage. This is a 15% to 20% growth company, at most, helped probably by their cloud offering.

Why would I put my investing dollars here instead of a hyper growth company? Nope, I don't see it.

Best,

Saul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.