Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Thanks to all for your replies and info.
Going forward, I will probably do a "hybrid" of paying off mortgage and buliding up short-term savings/investments.
I understand the advantages of carying mortgage while getting better returns and tax deduction. But I also like the freedom and lower monthly expenses of no mortgage. For now will probably go with something like a 75/25 split of every extra toward mortgage/savings.
Since mortgage is still fairly high, about 50% equity, I figure more money toward it early on makes bigger difference. That coupled with the market being mostly sideways, with still a good chance of correction (IMHO) is my reasoning. If market changes drastically, I will look at re-adjusting.
Also, with all tax advantaged accounts maxed, I feel I will conservatively have more than enough and can use something like Roth conversion ladders when house is paid, not working as much or at all, and limit tax exposre that way.

Thanks again to everyone and I appreciate any more thoughts, opinions, suggestions.

Kevin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.