No. of Recommendations: 25
Dear Fools,

I have been watching (and posting a little) to this and a few other boards for the past week. I just wanted to thank anyone who has posted in that time (and before). The amount of information I have gathered is incredible!

In that week, my wife and I have: Developed a monthly and yearly budget, closed twelve credit cards (four had balances --> we paid them off!), consolidated the rest of the cc debt into 4 cards (2 at 3.9%, 2 at 3.9%), decided not to put our house at risk w/ a home equity loan, and developed a snowball plan that will eliminate all cc debt in 20 months. It feels quite exhilarating to set financial goals and then try to implement our plans.

I realize we have just stepped on to a long road (who knows what is in store for us) but I am no longer without a roadmap! Ahead of us I see many of you cheering us on. Behind us, I see my friends, family members etc., whom I want to help as much as I can.

Thanks again to all you fine, Foolish people!

Scott
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
I find that staying on the Fool site, reading the stories and happy dances really keeps me on track.

This is a great site (and Tony is great!)

Catleen
No. of Recommendations: 0
>>>>>> In that week, my wife and I have: Developed a monthly and yearly budget, closed twelve credit cards (four had balances --> we paid them off!), consolidated the rest of the cc debt into 4 cards (2 at 3.9%, 2 at 3.9%), decided not to put our house at risk w/ a home equity loan, and developed a snowball plan that will eliminate all cc debt in 20 months. <<<<<<

Great to hear. Keep up the good work.

Best to You.
Excellent news! Doesn't it feel great to be in control?

I would not trade the Foolishness I've found here for all the money in the world! (Because then how on earth would I know what to do with it?)

Keep up the good work!
No. of Recommendations: 3
... decided not to put our house at risk w/ a home equity loan, and developed a snowball plan ...

Scott,

Thanks for this simple post, which reminded me to be thankful myself.

Before I came this board, I too was considering a HEL, even though I knew deep down inside that it was the wrong choice for us. I worked with a guy who did two HELs, is back in CC debt, is in his late fifites and my old company that he has worked at for over 25 years is about to go under. So, I knew it was a bad choice, but people were calling me with re-fi offers and sending me those fake checks for $75,000 and I almost did it. I almost caved into the pressure and snuffed out that little voice that said "Don't be a Sucker, you can deal with this".

The encouragement that I received here has allowed me to take back control of my finances and feel like once again, I am on top. The simple snowball calculator has done wonders for me. I am enjoying paying my bills because the balances are going down. Not only is there a light at the end of the tunnel, but the light is quickly approaching.

So, please accept this overdue thank you from me and my family, to everyone who posts here. I hope to give back in the future.

Bret

I have been watching (and posting a little) to this and a few other boards for the past week. I just wanted to thank anyone who has posted in that time (and before). The amount of information I have gathered is incredible!

In that week, my wife and I have: Developed a monthly and yearly budget, closed twelve credit cards (four had balances --> we paid them off!), consolidated the rest of the cc debt into 4 cards (2 at 3.9%, 2 at 3.9%), decided not to put our house at risk w/ a home equity loan, and developed a snowball plan that will eliminate all cc debt in 20 months. It feels quite exhilarating to set financial goals and then try to implement our plans.

Way to go, Scott!

As they say, knowledge is power, but it's what you do with it that counts. It's clear you're making excellent progress. Keep it up!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
That is all so great!

Just remember that if some month an emergency pops up, or if things just don't quite match the plan, don't be discouraged. These things happen to most of us.