Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks to everyone so far for the helpful information. I am thinking that my best bet might be to talk to both a tax attorney and an accountant to see what they can offer. If nothing else, I will need to speak with a few of these folks just to find one that I could work well with. And I could start by having someone help me to do the initial set-up, and if I think I can do it myself, then do that, which sounds like a reasonable plan.

I checked out the Quicken site, and they have a list of what they call QuickBook Certified Advisers. I don't know if I need that, but it does make sense to me to use someone who is familiar with the software I will be using if only to be able to transfer data files. Anyhow, it turns out that my little town of 3500 people has 2 of these folks with one of them being a street over from my house, so I might start with local calls.

I do know that I am obsessive with record-keeping and keeping things separate, so that should help us immensely in keeping expenses and income separate regardless of how we structure. I always kept a separate checkbook and credit card for the rental property, and bought everything separate from my personal items whenever we were shopping so that I could keep the receipts and charges separate. And I generally know what are considered business expenses and how to do allocations, so that should also help.

I'll keep reading here to see what else I need to be thinking, and if I have any other questions, I'll be sure to ask. You guys are just a wealth of knowledge!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.