Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks to everyone's responses to my problem. I wrote letters over the weekend per Matt's response and will get those out today. I had not considered the FTC, though, so I'll get a letter to them as well (thanks Tony). And FoolishInVermont, you make a great point about maybe this not being such a big deal. Honestly, I didn't think a $100 chargeoff would be a big deal either since my husband and I have great credit otherwise. But my mortgage broker (a family friend so I trust him) said it would just make things much easier in searching out the best rate, etc. So hopefully some pain now will pay off in a clean credit report and therefore better rate on my future mortgage.

If I've learned anything from all of this, though: check up on your credit report at least once a year (maybe twice a year is better), and never believe the company at face value that they've taken care of their fixing their mistake. Persistence, persistence. I wish I'd cleared this up a long time ago...

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again,
Karen
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.