Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for barely giving today's drop in the markets passing notice in your column tonight. On a day like today it's downright REFRESHING to log onto a popular investing site and see someone calmly continuing a discussion of how to value businesses.

I came home from work today looking forward to your column in particular. If I don't hear enough hand wringing at work, I could log onto The Street.com or most any other investing site. But I knew you would pretty much ignore it, as you generally do, because of your ten year time horizon.

To the extent that I have been able to adopt that attitude, it has given me a kind of inner peace. My co-workers think I'm either nuts or putting on a brave face when I tell them, in all honesty, that I really don't care much about today's downturn. Oh, I looked at how my portfolio fared (OK, like Phil Weiss, I peek a lot). But I like my companies, which include quite a few cash kings, so I didn't sweat the little dip in market value. It'll be a tiny squiggle on the line in ten years.

I was recommending your site to a friend at work today. He's got all his money in treasuries, and has been saying for years that he wants to get into market but is too afraid that it's going to go down. So today, it's not down enough for him. I keep telling him it's a sucker's game trying to time the market. But I recognize he has to be comfortable. What better place to get that way than Fool.com?

Anyway, thanks for being a good teacher, and setting a a good example.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.