Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
Thanks very much for the continued encouragement.

While there is much to consider, I am just basking for now. The echo of "WE'RE DEBT FREE" is still ringing loudly and I want to take a little time to just breathe and feel the sun on my face. At the moment, I feel the need to NOT reflect too heavily on the past debt journey. I'm also not ready to mentally invest in formulating future plans as they relate to finances. Not yet.

Right now, I just want to bask and coast for a while before refocusing on the next phase. At this point, I just need a mental pullback. We will continue with extreme frugality and overtime to the extent it is available. We WILL earn above our living--that has been the key-- and cash WILL accumulate. I'm just not prepared to plan for every single dollar as feverishly as we have been...for the moment. Accumulate now. Plan another day. That day may be the first of the year, possibly sooner.

My next non-financial projects will focus on mental and physical and marital health. The debt free journey has taken a significant toll on each. I won't dwell on those here.

Financially, things on the horizon will continue to force our hand.

1. Fully funded E-fund. I will be happy with the low end for now, so three months expenses is the goal.

2. I'm feeling really uneasy about our tax situation for this year. I feel the need to let cash accumulate and brace for a large bill. "Prepare for the worst and hope for the best." We have never had any issues, but I'm nervous about this year. We need a tax guy.

3. Our roof will be an expensive job and will become more emergent within 3-4 years.

Those are some issues to tackle, and they will further delay investing for retirement. We are 50yo and can't afford any more delay, but, as the Afford Anything podcast says: "You can afford ANYthing! You just can't afford EVERYthing!"

OK, time for a mental break and some Sunday family time! Thanks again!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.