Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks!

Yep, I've read the trip reports about weather. And sun protection. Got a wide brim hat... with strap (wind).

I've got a small shopping list for clothes, including North Face Venture 2 rain jacket. Need to sort out pants and the various layers underneath.

Already have hiking poles. And we plan to hike on the weekdays for the reason you point out.

Based on some of the reports, I plan to buy a small anemometer in case of "interesting" weather, just so I can talk about it. :) Bought a small tripod that holds my iPhone, just in case I have no companion on the summits.

I've also read a lot of back and forth on the 14er site on hiking shoes vs boots. Seems like an even split, with some strong opinions each way. Breaking in is, of course, a must. Need to shop for that soon. Just undecided....

I'll read about Sherman and Elbert again. And check out your disaster link soon. By the way, I read recently about a guy hiking in the winter, slid down the mountain, broke his hip and dislocated his elbow... and walked till he could flag down some help after building a snow shelter. Darn tough guy!

Rob
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.