No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks you guys! That clears up a lot. So to summarize, the two major investment vehicles available (401(k) & IRA) for retirement will grow individually and there is no way around it. If I want a joint investment then we can put a chunk of our income into something else after our retirement plans are setup.

BTW - we came to find out that her employer doesn't actually offer a 401(k). They offer an "Individual Investment Plan" without employer matching. So it's identical to going to Vangaurd (or some other broker) and opening an account ourselves there.

After reading most of the Retirement section of the fool (thanks Fuskie), I think that to start off my wife and I will consider the following.

Roth IRAs from Vangaurd invested in an Index fund. We will divert 10% of our incomes initially and increase it until we are slightly uncomfortable with the pinch on our current fun-money.

So my question is how can I be sure that my Roth IRA account is free of as many fees as possible? Will I get a clear cut statement every month or will I need to watch out for specific terminology at the beginning (mainly the word “fee”)? Is Vangaurd as good a place as any? What does NoLoad mean?

You guys rock!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.