No. of Recommendations: 0
That $3K annual limit is the sum of Roth IRA and traditional IRA contributions for each individual. It is not affected at all by particupation in a 401K plan. You can still max your 401K and do the $3K IRA/Roth contribution.

Yes, I was aware of this but I was interested in what options a person that is not offered a 401(k) has. In a 401(k), I believe you can contribute in the neighborhood of $11,000 which is before taxes and then also contribute $3000 to a Roth.

Since I do not have any 401(k) available to me, I can only contribute $3000 to a traditional IRA and that is it, no Roth because I have already maxed my IRA contributions.

So it seems, for the people that are not offered a 401(k), they are out of luck in that they can contribute a total of $3000 whereas the other scenario can contribute $14000 to a combination of 401(k) and Roth.

This is the first time I have worked for a company that didn't offer a 401(k) and have only contributed $3000 to an IRA for myself and my wife. I was hoping I could maximize my contributions a little more but it appears that is my only option, outside of having a taxable brokerage account invested in whatever funds I choose.

DT
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.