No. of Recommendations: 1
That is an almost nonsensical way to look at it. A portion of Medicare is paid for by payroll taxes. But a portion (mostly Part D) is paid from the general fund by statute

The above statement is wrong.

The SMI trust fund has different revenue sources. There are no payroll taxes collected for this fund, and enrollment in Medicare Parts B and D is voluntary. Individuals enrolled in Parts B and D must pay premiums, which cover about 25% of program costs.3 The other 75% of revenues for the SMI trust fund primarily comes from general revenue transfers. Other sources of revenue include interest paid on the U.S. Treasury securities held in the fund and Part D state transfers for Medicare beneficiaries who are also eligible for Medicaid (dual-eligibles*

Thus roughly 50% of the medicare program comes from federal general revenues. As the number of beneficiaries surge due to baby boomers & rampant health care costs increases will result in an ever increasing portion of the federal revenues paying for the program reducing funding for other federal programs. Medicare is currently 15% of the federal budget. If no reform is enacted it is likely to double by 2030.**

Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.