Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 6
That link is conspicuous in what it leaves out, and is therefore BS. Even with slavery it tries to spin and cherry-pick the best bits. Never mind slavery shouldn't have existed at all. Those "commentaries" make excuses (maybe that's why it's called "apologetics"?), they make up stuff, all to make you feel better that your god couldn't utter one simple sentence: thou shalt not own another person as property. On the contrary...

Again, I only have to quote the verse that says "the slave is his property". Not servant, not concubine, not even indentured servant. PROPERTY. I didn't make that up. Do I really have to quote the passage again to you? Reading the full chapter doesn't make it better.

And if beating a slave to the point of death isn't cruelty, then I need a new dictionary. It doesn't say "don't beat your slave". It says "there is no crime if the slave recovers in a day or two". That's god condoning cruelty. Not the first or the last time he does it (assuming one considers genocide as cruel), but clear in any of the translations you choose to use (NIV, KJ, etc).

I wouldn't accept the argument with respect to Hebrew slaves, but you could almost make the indentured servitude argument with them. EX 21 opens with buying Hebrew slaves for a period of 6 years. Though verse 4 tells you how to trick your Hebrew slave into staying: give him a wife and let him father children. Because the wife and children remain the property of the slave owner, only the man can go free after 6 years. I suspect most men would not abandon their families, so the six years becomes indefinite. Fiendishly underhanded.

But non-Hebrew slaves? Leviticus sets the rules for them, and they aren't limited to six years. You buy them from the nations around you, and there are inheritable just like any other property. So you bequeath them to your children, and to their children.

The only real difference was in the south you could beat your slave to death and it wasn't a crime (that I'm aware of) in the 1800s, but the bible stipulates the slave can't die within a day or two. Way to go bible!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.