Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
...that the more famous a writer gets, the worse the grammar in their books seems to be?

Doesn't it depend on in what circles the author is famous? I have never, ever read a Tom Clancy or Danielle Steele book in my life and I don't intend to. I quit reading Michner when he got to the point where he had a big staff doing his research and much of his writing.

Are we talking famous or popular?

I haven't noticed any degradation with Kingsolver, Lamb, McEwen, Cotze, etc. I'm not sure where Wally Lamb went (if you haven't read "I Know This Much Is True" I can't recommend it enough) but the others continue to produce really fine prose and fiction. Their grammar seems to be holding up just fine.

I think those writers who write for the masses and just pump the stuff out must need to let something go. How else could they fulfill the terms of their multi-book contracts?

And then there is Stephen King. He seems to manage okay.

P.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.