Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So I work on the north edge of downtown Denver and have a pretty good view all around. And I counted 24 construction cranes visible. And close by there are many projects that involve truck after truck of concrete pulling up to the pumping truck and disgorging cubic yard after cubic yard. The construction business is booming. High rises and condos are going up in every direction. Many high end with great amenities.

This is making me really nervous. The last time construction was booming like this was just as Denver was heading into a nasty bust and commercial real estate didn't recover for more than a decade. Part of what's driving this is very cheap loans and I wonder how many of these projects are viable if rates go up. It's easy to justify a project when money is cheap, but what happens when money isn't cheap and we have an overbuild and tenants are scarce? And from the amount of square footage going up, there is an overbuild in the making.

A recession is inevitable, it's just a question of when. As has been pointed out by smarter people than I, bull markets don't die, they are killed. So I'm wondering what the trigger is that will kill this bull market. Just in case I keep a few limit buy orders out on good stuff at kinda stupidly low prices just in case we have another flash crash.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.