No. of Recommendations: 2
That's kind of a meaningless way to calculate your tax bite. And an even crazier way to come to a decision to quit a job.

Agreed.

But....the wife is not immersed in this finance stuff like I am and like many of us are. So imagine how this situation looks to the typical (non-finance deep-diver) person:

**wife getting ready to sign the 1040** "Holy mackerel [that's not the exact word she used], we owe the IRS $25,000?? Waitaminute, that's just about the same as what my pay for the year was!! Remind me why I am working, am I working for us or am I working for the IRS?"

Anyway, she had an unpleasant boss and working conditions, so every time she laid out her complaints to me, I thought the job wasn't worth putting up with all the BS. I kept telling her she could quit and we'd be okay financially. Seeing a check to the IRS that just about equaled her salary was the last straw. Next time she called me at work to complain about something her boss pulled, I said "Reach down under your desk, pick up your purse, stand up, toss your badge and keys on your desk and walk out."
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.