Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
That's the DW's territory... Also, she does not do all the stone fruits on a tree, some is sacrificial.

I help to pick, eat and prepare with what we grow on property. I'm busy enuf elsewhere...

Cherries are just now coming on. Do luv this time of year!
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Oyster shells have so many uses. I remember when I was little one of my grandparents boiled oyster shells in the kettle to remove limescale.

AC *think it was my mother's father*
A recent garden radio program advised against the use of limestone (calcium carbonate) mulch on apple trees. It is alkaline and they prefer slight acidity. He suggested river rock instead.

If oyster shells are unavailable, egg shells might work as well. Or bone meal. Recall that phosphate fertilizer is measured in bone phosphate of lime. In the 1880s buffalo bones were ground up and sold as fertilizer.

Phosphate is also a benefit of oyster shells.
No. of Recommendations: 1
In the 1880s buffalo bones were ground up and sold as fertilizer.

The buffalo were shot for the furs, leaving lots of bones....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/12/2a/ad/122aad9dcfaed0024336...

DB2
Oyster shells have so many uses.

~~~

It's also provided for chickens, to assist in their egg shell creation. They need the calcium too.

Here in the PNW, oysters/shells are usually in great abundance. But, since many restaurants had to shutter their doors in 2020, less oysters were shucked and hence shell has been getting rare. There was one point where actual "shell" was NLA... still hard to come by. Catchup is going to take a while.

RE:under plantings... in some areas this is not needed. All depends on the quality of your dirt... ya know, that stuff under your feet? Yea, it can be rich or deficient in nutes and calcium can also be too much of a good thing, in some areas. Just be aware... a soil test, or contacting your local extension with questions, would be suggested, if you don't know or question.
No. of Recommendations: 3
I'm getting great crop of cherries this year. Even the Rainier tree which generally only has a few. Ripening now, so gotta race the birds (cedar waxwings show up to pluck cherries).
We need our oyster shells to seed the beds so yoou can eat oysters next year!

https://www.nccoast.org/project/oyster-shell-recycling-progr...
Yea, we now net our cherry trees and use footies on the apples and pears. The crows in our area, luv our orchards, but we have to sacrifice something for their protection. Must have 40+ crows living in the area and they keep the birds of prey in check.
XMFHelical:

Yes! Our cherries are starting to ripen (with some of the usual drop, too) but the birds will soon arrive to eat 'em all...and squirrels and chipmunks later. Happily, cherries in the store are now coming down, too. Soon, they will be $1.99/lb for a while.

Vermonter
XMFHelical:

Do you ever pick them somewhat green? Or just have to hope the birds leave some?

Vermonter
Do you ever pick them somewhat green? Or just have to hope the birds leave some?

No. I picked a few handfuls last night and brought on a hike to share. Some years I don't much, but I'll be fine this year.
I’m sure putting those footies on keep you busy and out of trouble PL. :)
That's the DW's territory... Also, she does not do all the stone fruits on a tree, some is sacrificial.

I help to pick, eat and prepare with what we grow on property. I'm busy enuf elsewhere...

Cherries are just now coming on. Do luv this time of year!