Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
thats a book i that its almost tax time ,my question is , how can i lower what i owe. my understanding is that a roth ira is fine for retirement but cant be a deduction on taxes. if i open an ira ( take money from a savings acount) i can deduct contribution, hense lowering tax i owe. but , when i retire in 5-6 yrs, and deceide to "cash in" the tradtional ira will taxed. isn't that like double taxed? if i use money that was taxed once as income to open ira and than taxed again with i close out ira. where is that book?

A traditional IRA has faith that the money you put in it is from earned income. Even if it was from a savings account or tax rebate. When you deduct the contribution from your taxes, that means you don't pay tax on it. Til you take it out.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.