Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
That's a really interesting article. I also think that the lower cost of buying a phone to access web services (when compared to a desktop computer) are also a big factor in the success of the mobile market.

When you throw in the benefit of increased security surrounding payment for goods and services you buy over a phone, the overall commitment level to start-up on the part of the consumer / user is therefore quite low.

I think that this means we will see people who have been afraid to access the internet with PC's, using their phones as "a first step" to the internet. The challenge will be twofold - keeping them online with worthwile services and making the devices, browsers and services consistently cheap and more importantly, easy to use.

Another aspect of this model which I think is interesting is that it will mean that these people are not necessarily looking for the "internet in the pocket" in terms of graphic heavy surfing - certainly not in their initial experiences. My feeling is that online content / service providers don't really get this at the moment and will probably struggle with this issue for a while.

For those who are more familiar with the online internet and want to supplement it with the wireless world, I think we will see some interesting integration between online applications and wireless applications. For example, you might rely on your PC to type in lots of data - meetings, etc. in your organiser appplication - and then simply get the reminders and review the notes on your wireless device. Another potentially interesting business model.

I'd like to find out more about Docomo and iMode and have tried to locate English-language versions of their sites. Does anyone know of any URL's?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.