Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 21
The 10-Q is out. I continue to like to look at Annaly's duration on assets.

http://investor.annaly.com/Cache/16926851.pdf?IID=113558&......
Page 13.

The following table summarizes the Company’s Agency mortgage-backed securities [86% of assets] as of March 31, 2013 and December 31, 2012, according to their estimated weighted-average life classifications at fair value:
[plus data I had from prior years]

Mar-2013 Dec-2012 Dec-2011 Dec-2010 Dec-2009
% assets w/ maturity in
less than 5 years 92.0% 97.2% 95.0% 77.3% 90.4%

Still very short term, but extending out a bit from year end (as rates modestly rose I presume).

Again, contrast with AGNC (as many like to). In the last 10-K it was AGNC noted that of its "Estimated Weighted Average Life of Agency MBS Classified as Available-for-Sale", only 33.7% were less than five years, and 63.8% between 5 and 10 years.
http://yahoo.brand.edgar-online.com/displayfilinginfo.aspx?F......
page 44

I see this as a response to the fed induced artificial low interest rate environment, as the fair values of the shorter lived assets are less rate sensitive should interest rates rise. Many tend to be enticed by the higher yield of AGNC, but the added asset duration vs. NLY make AGNC a substantially riskier holding in my opinion, despite similar leverage ratios.

Ralph
Helical Investor
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.