Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
The 2006 F150 Crew cab, 5.4L, 4WD, Tow package I bought via craiglist here, well over the hill in Napa, CA.. Had about 65K on it, interior was like new, one owner, but he needed get out from under as his company was giving him a vehicle... Lots of bells and whistles, but cloth seats, rubber mat..

I read up on, and knew of the spark plug issue, so when I took it to my independent mechanic, he checked, knew we'd have to deal with it later, but everything else of importance checked out.

Then came the matter of a clear title, he owed $13k on it, I wasn't willing to give his loan company the money without getting a registration. It would have paid his loan off, but then what? So I convinced him he had to do a short term loan, clear the title, and I'd cover the payoff with a Cashier's check once that was in hand. It took a couple weeks for him to do his thing, but it worked, we met at the DMV, did the transfer, and off we went!

Clear title is a major event, had a couple young lady relatives get screwed over, bought vehicles the seller didn't really own.. many headaches..

Our latest used car, a 2007 Honda Civic, we went through a local dealer, also had it checked by my mechanic, they fixed what he found as well as a paint mismatch... Went well..
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.