Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 77
Can somebody help me here? I'm medicare eligible, so I don't need the ACA website for myself, but I wanted to check for my wife, who still has a few years of "private insurance" to go.

So I went to the ACA website, which is responding well, but I have clicked and clicked and clicked and am unable to find "Death Panels", which I thought I should know a little more about.

I was promised "Death Panels" and I can't find anything about them anywhere. I ask because we have a friend with pancreatic cancer down in Florida who is also young enough to have private pay, and her insurance company is refusing to pay for a treatment her doctor is recommending; a cocktail of drugs she needs three weeks out of four at a cost of around $6,000 a treatment. But her insurance says "No," so I get the concept, very clearly.

Any help finding it on the ACA website? Thanks.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 40
In the words of my friend Albaby, "did she appeal the decision of the insurance company".

In the course of that discussion, by the way, Ilearned that righties think private insurance carriers, who have every financial motive in the world to deny payment of treatment, should be the arbiter of what is medically correct in treatment.

The mind boggles.
No. of Recommendations: 5
In the course of that discussion, by the way, Ilearned that righties think private insurance carriers, who have every financial motive in the world to deny payment of treatment, should be the arbiter of what is medically correct in treatment.

Righties fear "government bureaucrats" but trust implicitly any insurance clerk that answers the phone.

BTW, have you noticed that all the PA righties have Cadillac insurance plans which cover everything from any doctor and which each year cover more and cost less.
No. of Recommendations: 3

That would indeed be terrible. I know that I would't want my insurance company to be the sole arbiter for my health care.

Albaby
No. of Recommendations: 0
Check with Sarah. She'll know.
No. of Recommendations: 11
I was promised "Death Panels" and I can't find anything about them anywhere.

Because they're actually called IPAB. Not really hard to find despite the regimes attempt to hide them.

IPAB: President Obama's NICE Way To Ration Care To Seniors

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottatlas/2012/10/21/ipab-presi...
BTW, have you noticed that all the PA righties have Cadillac insurance plans which cover everything from any doctor and which each year cover more and cost less.

The good plans are earned from hard work and good jobs.
No. of Recommendations: 8
I was promised "Death Panels" and I can't find anything about them anywhere.

Obviously, someone is just way too dumb to figure out what a death panel reference actually means.
No. of Recommendations: 7

Have you noticed, that the folks that have lousy insurance and want everyone else to share it, truly believe although they have really lousy insurance and are viciously unhappy about it

THINK THEY MAKE BETTER DECISIONS
"Obviously, someone is just way too dumb to figure out what a death panel reference actually means. "

Well Democrats are the official party of the "low information voter".
No. of Recommendations: 1
I ask because we have a friend with pancreatic cancer down in Florida who is also young enough to have private pay, and her insurance company is refusing to pay for a treatment her doctor is recommending; a cocktail of drugs she needs three weeks out of four at a cost of around $6,000 a treatment. But her insurance says "No,"

Tell your friend to contact the drug company. Some drug companies will reduce the charges for patients below a certain income level. It's definitely worth a try.

I wish your friend good luck.

Karen

P.S. To anyone getting prescription medicine--check the internet for coupons or discounts. I've gotten good discounts for a couple of drugs--just by printing out a coupon and taking it to my pharmacist.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I ask because we have a friend with pancreatic cancer down in Florida who is also young enough to have private pay, and her insurance company is refusing to pay for a treatment her doctor is recommending; a cocktail of drugs she needs three weeks out of four at a cost of around $6,000 a treatment. But her insurance says "No,"

Sadly the thing about chemo for pancreatic cancer is that the chemo does not prolong life but, rather, tries to improve quality of life, but does so for only a portion of patients.

Support pancreatic cancer research: www.pancreatic.org
Tell your friend to contact the drug company. Some drug companies will reduce the charges for patients below a certain income level. It's definitely worth a try.

Also try the State AG's office, every State has a division that handles consumer disputes with insurance companies. So if they are being refused coverage by the company the government can be your advocate against them.

Which is another reason I don't like the idea of government run health insurance. The government is a watchdog over the insurance companies. Who's the watchdog when the government is the insurer? Does anyone trust the government to make the right decision all the time? Even half the time?
GoofusDoofus has initiated some ridiculous threads in his Fooltime, but this is one of the worst (best?) A feature was, in fact, contained in Section 1233 of Bill HR 3200 which would have paid physicians for providing voluntary counseling to Medicare patients about living wills, advance directives, and end-of-life care options--you know, things connected to "death." Due to public concern, the provision was removed from the Senate bill and was not included in the final version of ZeroKare.

So, Goofness, try to stay current as to what is actually in the 10,535 pages of ZeroKare. We know you could not have read the Act before it was passed into law--apparently, no one did--on March 21, 2010 at 10:49 p.m. Instead of spending your valuable time looking for features of the law on ZeroKare's profoundly flawed website, come here first so we can set you straight.
No. of Recommendations: 25

The good plans are earned from hard work and good jobs.

Anybody who can sit around and post on internet message boards all day doesn't have much of a job and wouldn't know "hard work" if it bit him on the ankle.
Anybody who can sit around and post on internet message boards all day doesn't have much of a job and wouldn't know "hard work" if it bit him on the ankle.

Or, they've been in the work force long enough and did their time. I admit I worked much harder and too many hours in my 20s and 30s than I do today. If you put in the time early, you won't need to do as much later on.

Then again being salaried also means get the job done and done right. The amount of time is a non-issue.

Unless posting is the person's job.
No. of Recommendations: 35
A feature was, in fact, contained in Section 1233 of Bill HR 3200 which would have paid physicians for providing voluntary counseling to Medicare patients about living wills, advance directives, and end-of-life care options--you know, things connected to "death."

I'm astounded that someone who claims to have any knowledge about somethings associated with life insurance apparently has such a profound lack of understanding of "living wills, advance directives, and end-of-life care options".

-synchronicity
No. of Recommendations: 40
Does anyone trust the government to make the right decision all the time? Even half the time?

Does anyone trust the insurance companies? Ever?

The only insurance company I trust is Medicare.

Sure: Go through the rigamarole of challenging the insurance company's decision. Have a debate with your local hospital's collection department. Or go online for coupons. Or get on your knees before Big Pharma.

It's easier (and less painful) to just suck it up and die. Gonna happen sooner than later.

What's an extra couple of months of medical and financial misery? And I ask that question in all seriousness. You want to die in six months in relative peace, or do you want to live in medically-induced agony for another three fighting with just about every healthcare provider.

Our system is busted. And our priorities are all wrong. No wonder everyone's so angry.

Jimbo
Most of your Obamakare plans probably would not cover it either. Maybe if you managed to find a platinum plan that had your doc and hospital..

but.....it's already known as a zinger than nearly all plans will limit medications.

Pancreatic cancer is usually not 'treatable' in late stages. You might buy a few weeks at $6000 week or more.....

Haven't you guys been reading about how ObamaKare plans are denying most of the more expensive medicines and they put you on the older generic stuff....?

If not, you better be reading up. It's all over the news...but, not of course, on the news channels that never say anything bad about baracki and his legislation...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/09/prescription_drug_c...

you might have 50% co pay on those expensive meds.....if your plan supports them at all!

Got HIV? your rates will be a lot higher! .... so much for 'pre existing condition clauuses'....

Smokers pay 35% more annually....

You did read it, right?

t.
No. of Recommendations: 3
CC: A feature was, in fact, contained in Section 1233 of Bill HR 3200 which would have paid physicians for providing voluntary counseling to Medicare patients about living wills, advance directives, and end-of-life care options--you know, things connected to "death."

syn: I'm astounded that someone who claims to have any knowledge about somethings [sic] associated with life insurance apparently has such a profound lack of understanding of "living wills, advance directives, and end-of-life care options".

Huh? Have you been drinking? How does me quoting practically verbatim what Section 1233 of Bill HR 3200 said indicate that I have a "profound lack of understanding of living wills, advance directives and end-of-life care options?" Your partisanship is what's "astounding."
No. of Recommendations: 41
How does me quoting practically verbatim what Section 1233 of Bill HR 3200 said indicate that I have a "profound lack of understanding of living wills, advance directives and end-of-life care options?"

Because what you quoted is not at all a "death panel" or anything even vaguely, remotely related to such, no matter how much certain partisans wanted to spin it that way. Of course, I shouldn't expect you to understand that.

-synchronicity
No. of Recommendations: 19
synchronicityII wrote:
profound lack of understanding

It's her signature. And across so many fields of endeavor. One can but marvel.

-IGU-
No. of Recommendations: 4
Got HIV? your rates will be a lot higher! .... so much for 'pre existing condition clauuses'....

Smokers pay 35% more annually....

You did read it, right?

Excuse me. Those with 'pre-existing conditions' are not being denied coverage, as they would have been under pre-existing conditions.

Their rates are higher. And with good reason: They are demonstrably higher risk patients; and there is no question that the cost of their long-term care will be more expensive than that of the average bear.

The Republicans are running from the ACA like a case of terminal herpes is crawling up their leg. Just because the ACA attempts to provide insurance for the otherwise uninsurable, it does not follow that actuarial and basic medical economic theory falls by the wayside.

Even a stupid Republican should be able to appreciate the economic nuances.......Unless you don't want to.

....or are ill-equipped mentally to do so.

Jimbo

Even a stupid Republican should be able to appreciate the economic nuances.......Unless you don't want to.

Seems like "stupid" is a qualification in the New Republican Party.
synchronicity and his buddy, UGU, know nothing about the "death panels" controversy, apparently.

Eh, never mind. You're both a poor use of my time.
"The good plans are earned from hard work and good jobs."

Wow, that's about as naïve and out of touch with reality as it gets.

Good luck.
Can somebody help me here? I'm medicare eligible, so I don't need the ACA website for myself, but I wanted to check for my wife, who still has a few years of "private insurance" to go.

So I went to the ACA website, which is responding well, but I have clicked and clicked and clicked and am unable to find "Death Panels", which I thought I should know a little more about.

I was promised "Death Panels" and I can't find anything about them anywhere. I ask because we have a friend with pancreatic cancer down in Florida who is also young enough to have private pay, and her insurance company is refusing to pay for a treatment her doctor is recommending; a cocktail of drugs she needs three weeks out of four at a cost of around $6,000 a treatment. But her insurance says "No," so I get the concept, very clearly.

Any help finding it on the ACA website? Thanks.

I can help with that, Goofy.

"Death Panels" is a euphemism for the ACA, as is ObamaCare, e.g. the substitution of a mild, indirect, or vague expression for one thought to be offensive, harsh, or blunt - example: the expression so substituted: “To pass away” is a euphemism for “to die.” Also, more examples of euphemisms are sleep with for have sexual intercourse with; departed for dead; relieve oneself for urinate: rest room for toilet, lady of the evening for prostitute. The Nazis used euphemism in referring to their plan to murder the world's Jews as “the Final Solution.”

And, as you know, Obama and his administration rarely tell the truth - they (in part) use euphemisms so as to not upset even their own minions, like you Goofy. The rest of the time, they just lie.

Have a Merry Christmas.