Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
the actual driving more often than not tends to test your traffic negotiation skills instead of your line development.

I would argue the traffic negotiation skills needed in Lemons/Chump are at least partially line development skills. The other traffic becomes moving debris (with various levels of intelligence and skill planning that movement) and the line development skill needed is near-immediate. You have to see the best line in the path that's available to you (not blocked by those moving debris) as you approach it.

And that seems like it'd be a Lemons-ish sort of skill, as where else do you have such a variety in both car and driver ability on such packed tracks? But the skill that lets you reanalyze lines for the limited space the idiot in the SHO is giving you is the same skill that lets you re-optimize your line when you out-brake yourself, or when your turn-in is off, or the guy in front of you spins and suddenly you have to "track out" on the inside edge of the track. It's the same skill, just exaggerated, that's needed to adjust for different heat in the tires, different weights from burned fuel, etc. It's reanalyzing "the line" based on the space you now have and the abilities your car currently has.

Neil, I don't know that it's my place to give suggestions on seeing the line more effectively. Your plan to autocross seems like the best plan. If I were to try to come up with something else, I'd ask how often do you see "the line" when driving on the street? I've noticed I do visualize the line when driving, and that my "line" changes with traffic, debris, bumps, etc. I imagine just letting yourself think about it when driving on the street would be a bit more "free practice", so long as it doesn't encourage other aggressive driving behaviors.

I think I remember a classroom once where we talked about "seeing" the line walking around the office or our homes - how close we could cut that corner, how much space we needed to leave around blind corners or for stuff we were carrying, etc. The carpet even gets those same worn areas we see on the track.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.