Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 7
A little known fact of The Feste Award is the physical award itself: a large bronze casting of two naked Canadians canoodling in a canoe about to go over a waterfall entitled: ‘Everything’s Okay So Far’. It was recently in the possession of one previous Feste Award winner since it was refused by the present award winner as ‘salacious’. However, due to a, ahem, ‘hesitancy’ in announcing the 2010 contest, it has been sold. Well, truth be told, it was sold to cover the prior winner’s, a grizzled old fart salmon fisher, outstanding beer costs but that’s a long story. Short version: 650 lbs. bronze trumps a garage full of aluminum cans.

It has been purchased by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke who has installed it in the Federal Reserve Building’s foyer to signify the effects of cascading Keynesian money vis a vis the Austrian School’s temperance policies as they both relate to the ratio of debt to GDP affecting investment potentials and burgeoning possible interest rate increases brought forward by Professor Vedder of Ohio State University’s contention money flows to lower tax jurisdictions while fleeing higher tax areas thus causing a transfer of the talented to these lower tax jurisdictions. It also serves as a hat rack.

MichaelR
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
However, due to a, ahem, ‘hesitancy’ in announcing the 2010 contest...

Hesitancy is in the mind of the beholder. Toward the end of the month is the time when we check the moon phase through the aperture of large monolithic rock structures and build the altar fires. Besides, it's 2009 on the hot seat this time around. Unless I slept for a year, which is entirely possible.

Richard
Hesitancy is in the mind of the beholder. Toward the end of the month is the time when we check the moon phase through the aperture of large monolithic rock structures and build the altar fires. Besides, it's 2009 on the hot seat this time around. Unless I slept for a year, which is entirely possible.

Wasn't the Feste discontinued?
No. of Recommendations: 1

That was a ploy to generate renewed interest and discussion. At least that's what I told my boss...

Richard
That was a ploy to generate renewed interest and discussion. At least that's what I told my boss...

Richard

Clever boy.

-spookysquid

And how's that working out for you?
Hesitancy is in the mind of the beholder.

But a fair vote isn't.

Last years Feste award voting was held OFF of TMF at a site that allowed voters to vote as many times as they cared to. I reported this but was ignored.

I'm putting y'all on notice now that if TMF trys that sort of $#!t again I will vote several hundred times for the candidate of my choice.

Let's have a fraud free election this time OK?
Last years Feste award voting was held OFF of TMF at a site that allowed voters to vote as many times as they cared to. I reported this but was ignored

And some who were nominated were left off the polls completely.

RJ - aka H. Ross Perot
And how's that working out for you?

Still here.

It should have been after the voting fraud made possible by last years choice of voting site which allowed voters to vote as many times as they cared to.
I reported the fact but was ignored.

If TMF pulls that sort of $#!t again let's all vote a few dozen times for the candidate of our choice.
If they do continue this farce of a contest, I recommend that everyone nominate Rage Against the Machine for feste.
No. of Recommendations: 5
It should have been after the voting fraud made possible by last years choice of voting site which allowed voters to vote as many times as they cared to.
I reported the fact but was ignored.

If TMF pulls that sort of $#!t again let's all vote a few dozen times for the candidate of our choice.

Dude, it's an award for TMF board members, not election to the Senate. Chill. I'm sure TMF did what they reasonably could do to honor its fee free board contest, but lets keep some perspective. Are you looking for Jimmy Carter to come oversee the next round?

-spookysquid
No. of Recommendations: 3
And some who were nominated were left off the polls completely.

RJ - aka H. Ross Perot

Want some cheese with that whine?

-spookysquid, OG Perot
Dude, it's an award for TMF board members, not election to the Senate. Chill. I'm sure TMF did what they reasonably could do to honor its fee free board contest, but lets keep some perspective. Are you looking for Jimmy Carter to come oversee the next round?

No, dude, I don't trust him.

The Feste award should have been held on TMF like before. Taking it off site to a free for all voting site opened it up to fraud.
No, dude, I don't trust him.

Then don't vote or participate. On a fee free board, I'm not sure what you think it is that you will lose.

The Feste award should have been held on TMF like before. Taking it off site to a free for all voting site opened it up to fraud.

And was probably a cheaper option for TMF. Unfortunate that it was rife with fraud, as you suggest. But, I repeat, I'm sure TMF did what they reasonably could do to honor its fee free board contest, so lets keep some perspective. I think you may be expecting more than what you paid for.

-spookysquid
And was probably a cheaper option for TMF. Unfortunate that it was rife with fraud, as you suggest. But, I repeat, I'm sure TMF did what they reasonably could do to honor its fee free board contest, so lets keep some perspective.

I don't understand why you keep bringing up the fee free thing. TMF held the contest here up until last year (as far as I can tell) switching it off site could (although I don't believe it did) have cost TMF money. Keeping the voting on TMF would have been the cheapest option i.e. free.

Then don't vote or participate.

Oh I'll vote if they do it like that again.

Desert (and vote and vote and vote) Dave
I don't understand why you keep bringing up the fee free thing.

It means that you can ask for all you want, but in the end, you will get whatever they give you and still end up with more than you paid for.

TMF held the contest here up until last year (as far as I can tell) switching it off site could (although I don't believe it did) have cost TMF money. Keeping the voting on TMF would have been the cheapest option i.e. free.

Labor, hardware, software integration. None of those are free. Quite the opposite actually.

-spookysquid
TMF held the contest here up until last year (as far as I can tell) switching it off site could (although I don't believe it did) have cost TMF money. Keeping the voting on TMF would have been the cheapest option i.e. free.

Labor, hardware, software integration. None of those are free. Quite the opposite actually.

In the past TMF has used the extant hardware and software to tally votes for the Feste award.

To continue to do so would have required no additional expenditure.

I.e. it would be free.

Why did they change?
In the past TMF has used the extant hardware and software to tally votes for the Feste award.

I.e. it would be free.

Why did they change?

No way man. Servers get old and need replacing. Labor has to maintain its running, let alone new software builds or troubleshooting when things go wrong. Two hypothetical examples:
1. just having bogey sitting there doing nothing all day as he frequently does still costs money in labor (just joking bogey!),
2. an IT guy is busy maintaining the Feste server instead of working on the latest CAPS server upgrade.

And also, if you are an IT manager, your staffing is based on likely support needs, not when everything is sunshine and roses in the server farm. Or the inverse is you only have budget for so many people, so you can only support X number of servers. Either way, it all costs money. If it was cheaper to offload that cost to another company, then it was cheaper to offload and keep their dedicated folks focused on for fee endeavors.

-spookysquid
No. of Recommendations: 2

No way man. Servers get old and need replacing. Labor has to maintain its running, let alone new software builds or troubleshooting when things go wrong.

Hello! What happened to
"Dude, it's an award for TMF board members, not election to the Senate."

Now all the sudden we've got entire servers dedicated to the Feste award? When did that happen.

Come on man! We both know that the Feste award used the same polling function used all over TMF so there was no additional load on TMF resources. As far as the software was concerned it was just another poll.

Taking the voting off of TMF exposed the Feste award voting to fraud.
Doing so again will expose the contest to fraudulent results again.

Aging servers?

Are you trying to hide something here?

I plan to vote in the upcoming Feste award contest as many times as the chosen software will allow and urge all other TMFers to do the same. It's the only way we lowly users <sarcasm> who don't know entire computers need to be replaced every time the software runs a polling program </sarcasm> can keep the award honest.
Hello! What happened to
"Dude, it's an award for TMF board members, not election to the Senate."

Now all the sudden we've got entire servers dedicated to the Feste award? When did that happen.

This all speaks to my point about "what you get for free".

Speaking as a non-techie who regularly has to be mindful of the capabilities of various web enabled applications and the servers that host those applications (and the costs associated), I can say it is most likely that a large portion of a server would likely need to be dedicated (either a real server, or resources dedicated to a virtual server) to the feste. Those resources either could be used elsewhere or ARE used elsewhere and are taken away from those previous activities to be dedicated to feste. No one keeps spare servers or capacity just laying about. That would be wasteful. (see "what I get for free" comments).

Come on man! We both know that the Feste award used the same polling function used all over TMF so there was no additional load on TMF resources. As far as the software was concerned it was just another poll.

I do not remember it that way, so I'll have to take your word for it. Even so, the app has to be loaded, the DB and ID checking must be implemented, someone has to load those things and manage them, etc etc etc. That applicatin runs in the memory of something somewhere. Magic fairies (again, with the exception of Bogey) do not just make the magic web stuff happen for free. And since you DO get to use the boards for free, any costs savings TMF can make go directly to the bottom line.

Taking the voting off of TMF exposed the Feste award voting to fraud.
Doing so again will expose the contest to fraudulent results again.

Fine. DOn't vote. You'll have lost nothing. It will cost you nothing. It will also likely NOT impact you, much as all the previous Feste votes did NOT impact you. They impact pretty much the award winners only, with the notable exception of the loss of MR's annual creative outpouring aka. MR's beer and salmon fueled whine fest (which I know I will miss!).

Aging servers?

Are you trying to hide something here?

No, why? Servers get old, just like PCs. Hard Drive arrays go bad, memory corrupts, CPUs fail, etc. I have no idea if this is applicable here, but I've had it happen to me on my projects before and I know it can be painful and costly to replace when you are on a deadline.

I plan to vote in the upcoming Feste award contest as many times as the chosen software will allow and urge all other TMFers to do the same.

Great! So you know it's fraud (as you've said repeatedly) and eagerly look forward to engaging in it because, I don't know, the man didn't listen to you (the FOOLS! If only they'd listened to me we wouldn't be in this earth shattering predicament!).

It's the only way we lowly users <sarcasm> who don't know entire computers need to be replaced every time the software runs a polling program </sarcasm> can keep the award honest.

So you are willfully going to engage in the very fraud you've so heatedly been ranting against?

-spookysquid
Servers get old, just like PCs. Hard Drive arrays go bad, memory corrupts, CPUs fail, etc.

By that logic you are destroying TMF's computers just by posting your comments here.

To argue that TMF's polling program, which is used everyday all over TMF (see the Crate Poll link at the top and bottom of your screen?), is somehow going to overload the system if used for the Feste award verges on ludicrous.

So you are willfully going to engage in the very fraud you've so heatedly been ranting against?

Damn straight! If we all do it whatever advantage gained by those who are trying to game the system is lost to them.

Of course TMF could make all this moot simply by using the existing TMF polling software this year.
I also left off consuming the power which runs the servers and the A/C used to cool the server farm, which also costs.

By that logic you are destroying TMF's computers just by posting your comments here.

Absolutely. Which is why I'm always mindful, no matter how bad a given aspect may be, that in the end it's all for free, so my right to complain is severly limited. Which has been my main point all along.

To argue that TMF's polling program, which is used everyday all over TMF (see the Crate Poll link at the top and bottom of your screen?), is somehow going to overload the system if used for the Feste award verges on ludicrous.

The polling software is limited to five options, but TMF, last year at least, had more than that. That might also be a reason for them to offload the job to another agency..

Damn straight! If we all do it whatever advantage gained by those who are trying to game the system is lost to them.

Way to retake the moral high ground!

-spookysquid
The polling software is limited to five options, but TMF, last year at least, had more than that. That might also be a reason for them to offload the job to another agency..

(Moderator) Folks we've got more than five candidates this year and TMF's poll software only offers five options so we're branching into two places to cast your vote. Remember you should only vote once for a candidate here on TMF so be sure before you cast your vote.

To vote for the following candidate
1 Abe
2 Bob
3 Charlie
4 Delta
5 Fred
click on this link. LINK 1

To vote for candidate
6 Gus
7 Harriet
8 Irene
9 Jack
10 Ken
click on this link. LINK 2

Yes, I know, someone could still vote for one candidate in each poll; but that's a hell of a lot better than letting someone vote fifty times for one candidate. RIGHT?

Way to retake the moral high ground!

Been there all along.

Can't do that when TMF won't put them on the ballot. :(

BOOOOOOO!!!!! to TMF for leaving ROTJob off last year's ballot.
I nominate, uhm. Hmmm. I'm going to have to think about that. Thank goodness the rocks and stuff haven't lined up yet.

ThyPeace, oh wait, maybe it's time to nominate Nancy....
Yes, I know, someone could still vote for one candidate in each poll; but that's a hell of a lot better than letting someone vote fifty times for one candidate. RIGHT?

First of all, Feste voting has never been done on TMF. It has always been done through a third party.

Secondly, IP restrictions limit the number of times you can vote to once per IP address. So yes, you could go to 100 different computers and vote for the same guy 100 times, but you're you've gote bigger problems than the Feste award if you do.
Secondly, IP restrictions limit the number of times you can vote to once per IP address.

Limiting by IP is flawed and I'm sure you know that and why.

I'm reasonably certain that last year's vote did not limit by IP address.
Limiting by IP is flawed and I'm sure you know that and why.

I'm reasonably certain that last year's vote did not limit by IP address.

Well, were you enough of a loser to test this out?
Well, were you enough of a loser to test this out?

I didn't bother with the entire charade at all last year after the "no more Feste, ok let's have Feste and oh yeah let's extend the nominating process which we already said was closed" debacle which was compounded by a certain someone's shameless and nauseating self-promotion.
Last years Feste award voting was held OFF of TMF at a site that allowed voters to vote as many times as they cared to. I reported this but was ignored.

David,

How do you know this? The site is supposed to prevent multiple votes by anyone acting honestly. It's possible the poll was set up wrong, or the site's software wasn't working properly. I didn't see any skewing of the results that would have indicated a problem, though.

If we used our own polling functions onsite, what's to stop the army of doppels? Without requiring credit cards and SSN's, we can't keep them out of the process.

It's imperfect, and yes, a relative few are going to try to abuse the system. I'm confident that most Fools are honest and will vote once.

Richard
I'm confident that most Fools are honest and will vote once.

Accept David, as he's already told you he plans to abuse the system, no matter what. Holding the moral highground and all that.

-spookysquid
Except
First of all, Feste voting has never been done on TMF. It has always been done through a third party.

Secondly, IP restrictions limit the number of times you can vote to once per IP address.

IIRC all Feste voting has been done, up until last year, on TMF. In fact the reason that was given to me for going off of TMF last year was that there were too many candidates to fit into TMF's five slot poll format.

As to IP restrictions, all I can tell you is that it was an open secret last year that anyone could vote more than once. After reading several posts wherein the poster claimed have voted more than once I went to the site and tried it. My vote was accepted from the same computer that I'd cast my first vote from. When I reported this nothing was done about it.
How do you know this?

All I can tell you is that it was an open secret last year that anyone could vote more than once. After reading several posts wherein the poster claimed have voted more than once I went to the site and tried it. My second vote was accepted from the same computer that I'd cast my first vote from. When I reported this nothing was done about it.

If we used our own polling functions onsite, what's to stop the army of doppels? Without requiring credit cards and SSN's, we can't keep them out of the process.

True, but it's a lot harder to set up a new TMF account than simply log on to a voting web site dozens of times. The sheer work involved and the time it would take would limit the number of doppelgänger votes.

It's imperfect, and yes, a relative few are going to try to abuse the system.

That doesn't mean we have to make it easy for them.
No. of Recommendations: 5
IIRC all Feste voting has been done, up until last year, on TMF. In fact the reason that was given to me for going off of TMF last year was that there were too many candidates to fit into TMF's five slot poll format.

Your recollection needs some refreshing. My recollection is that there have been 10 nominees to be voted on almost every year. The earliest documentation I can find to substantiate this is for the 2001 award (voted on in 2002): http://www.fool.com/Specials/2002/02011100sp.htm

To complete your trip down memory lane, the ten finalists were:
BruceBrown
GoofyHoofy
Gritton
HowardRoark
Impliedvolatilty
JABoa
Seansan
Tiddman
WallStGal

And if you click the link at the bottom of that article that says "Vote Now" - it goes off the TMF site to a 3rd party survey site that indicates that the survey no longer exists: https://websurveyor.net/wsb.dll/3245/festeaward2001.htm

AJ
Your recollection needs some refreshing.

Thanks for the refreshing.
But, for the record, it was my (obviously incorrect) memory that thought the Feste awards had always been held on TMF.
The not enough room excuse was given by someone when I complained last year.

You recall incorrectly. The reason the Fest was cancelled last year was due to tepid nominations, not too many candidates. But if you don't believe me, here's the Feste voting post for 2008. As you can see, it's an external poll:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26438367

And though I can't find a link, the nominee list for 2007 is clearly too many to support a TMF poll. It was done using a 3rd party:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25121968

And the 2006 vote was also through a third party:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23488349

And the 2005 vote was too:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21840972

How far would you like me to go back? I hope Twitty will vouch when I say that the Feste award voting has not happened through a TMF site vote in recent memory.

As to IP restrictions, all I can tell you is that it was an open secret last year that anyone could vote more than once. After reading several posts wherein the poster claimed have voted more than once I went to the site and tried it. My vote was accepted from the same computer that I'd cast my first vote from. When I reported this nothing was done about it.

That's all well and good, but do you (or does anyone) have any proof, or even any reasonable evidence, that your multiple votes were counted more than once? Isn't it possible that your second vote replaced the first one?
You recall incorrectly. The reason the Fest was cancelled last year was due to tepid nominations, not too many candidates.

Yes, the off TMF voting had been pointed out to me. Thank you for the details. I'll take your word for it.

And, again, for the record; I said nothing about the cancelled first run at the awared last year.

That's all well and good, but do you (or does anyone) have any proof, or even any reasonable evidence, that your multiple votes were counted more than once? Isn't it possible that your second vote replaced the first one?

Yes, that's possible.

The solution this year would be to use a site that meets the one IP address one vote rule.

Dave
The solution this year would be to use a site that meets the one IP address one vote rule.

Agreed. It's not perfect, but it's the least imperfect way.
I hope Twitty will vouch when I say that the Feste award voting has not happened through a TMF site vote in recent memory.

Vouch.

We will probably use the same site this year for voting, but I'll be sure to doublecheck that the switches for uniqueness are turned on.

Richard

Agreed. It's not perfect, but it's the least imperfect way.

Except it means that everyone who logs in from Sara Lee's corporate offices in Downers Grover, IL (for example) can't really vote because as far as the outside world is concerned the guy in accounting and the guy in marketing are reporting the same IP address.

Some companies have entire buildings with one outgoing IP address. Some companies have it segregated by department or building floor or wing.

Again, limiting by IP is seriously flawed.
Except it means that everyone who logs in from Sara Lee's corporate offices in Downers Grover, IL (for example) can't really vote because as far as the outside world is concerned the guy in accounting and the guy in marketing are reporting the same IP address.

Some companies have entire buildings with one outgoing IP address. Some companies have it segregated by department or building floor or wing.

Again, limiting by IP is seriously flawed.

I hate it when people are smart enough to point out the problems, but not enough to suggest a better way.
I hate it when people are smart enough to point out the problems, but not enough to suggest a better way.

Wow. You're taking this awfully personally, Whafa. What's got your panties in a bunch? Is TMF's Feste polling your baby or something?

The personal attack in your post was uncalled for and ridiculously puerile.
Nothing personal, Tera. What's your better idea?
No. of Recommendations: 6
Votes will only be accepted by systems equipped with a webcam, so that facial recognition software can insure uniqueness. The software has been upgraded so that votes placed by hand puppets shaped like fish (you know who you are) will no longer be counted.

TMFHelical
[No - not really]

Not involved with the Feste in any way, other than liking that this recognition award continues.

Er... are you referring to the Feste Award voting or the recent US Supreme Court ruling on McCain-Feingold?

Also, speaking as a retired business owner, I have a message for those who are surfing the web from their job:
Get back to work!
No. of Recommendations: 4
Nothing personal, Tera. What's your better idea?

<crickets>

That's what I thought.
<crickets>

That's what I thought.

Wow, I am simultaneously blown away by your mad geek skillz, and your never faltering graciousness.

How awesome are you?

-spookysquid
I'd say I'm pretty awesome for giving her the benefit of the doubt.
I'd say I'm pretty awesome for giving her the benefit of the doubt.

From common barrista to interweb cybergeek bully all in just a couple of years. My how our waffle has grown.

-spookysquid
Gang, can we drop the bickering?

Thanks,
Richard

Thanks,
Richard

One man's bickering is another man's witty banter. :)

But yes.

-spookysquid

Thanks,
Richard

This is why Twitty is my hero. Timing, dude. Your timing is fantastic. (Yes, seriously.)

ThyPeace, Twitty fan.
No. of Recommendations: 3
It was recently in the possession of one previous Feste Award winner since it was refused by the present award winner as ‘salacious’.

Hmmm, might need to check your sources----
Being said current winner, all I can say is, where's my canoe?!

; )
Jim

PS
Speaking of Canadians canoodling naked in a canoe, with great exercise of
willpower I will refrain from repeating the old joke about American beer.
It was recently in the possession of one previous Feste Award winner since it was refused by the present award winner as ‘salacious’.

Hmmm, might need to check your sources. Being said current winner, all I can say is, where's my canoe?!

; ) Jim

PS: Speaking of Canadians canoodling naked in a canoe, with great exercise of willpower I will refrain from repeating the old joke about American beer.

And that’s because you’re a class act and won The Feste Award through competence and not through shameless self promotion as did one certain other winner who, in a dereliction of duty on behalf of TMF, scored the prize.

All I know about American beer is the time a person held a glass of it up to the light and said, “This horse has diabetes.” Not that I am prejudiced but, having sampled rather a lot of the stuff, Canadian beer puts hair on your chest, stiffens the spine, and adds zest to life to the point after an evening of drinking it, the only question is “Did he bring a hat?”

MichaelR