Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
...the advice I got from Experian was to get at least three more credit cards...

Funny, I have 4 active credit cards. My FICO has been at about 832 for years. FICO says one reason it's not higher is that I have "Too many accounts with balances ... Generally, people who limit the number of accounts they have with balances appear less risky to lenders."

Well, nothing I can do about it. My four cards are for:
1. Primary. I use this for almost everything.
2. Back-up, if for some reason there's a problem with the primary card. I also use this for recurring charges (newspapers, magazines, and charities mostly).
3. Things I buy for Dad. I pay this card from his account. (I handle all of Dad's finances.)
4. Things my sister buys for Dad. I pay this card from his account. It's easiest to just give her my card to use, than for her to use a card of her own and submit expense reports.

Of course, I pay off all cards in full each month.

I also get dinged for
"Lack of recent installment loan information
FICO® Scores consider recent non-mortgage installment loan (such as auto or student loans) information on a person’s credit report. Your score was impacted because your credit report shows no recent non-mortgage installment loans or insufficient recent information about your loans.
KEEP IN MIND: In general, people who purchase with an installment loan and pay back the loan on time tend to demonstrate the ability to manage a variety of credit types. However, a new account opening, and to a lesser extent the credit inquiry associated with applying for a new account, may demonstrate higher risk in the short term."

Nothing I'm inclined to do about that, either.

I don't think, going forward, I'll have any problem getting a mortgage and/or car loan if I want one. Credit scores are also used by prospective landlords and prospective employers, but I've had no problems finding great rental houses. With a nice 1099-R in hand, landlords haven't even checked our credit.

So I'm not going to worry about it. Credit scoring factors aren't perfect, but they're good enough, in my case anyway.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.